Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: heated seats

My only wish is that they would heat up faster, but sure, it takes time to heat up the elements and conduct up through the pad and leather.

I am guessing that no matter whether the switch is on high or low, that when intially turned on, the same amount of current flows to the elements until the temperature is satisfied, either the higher or lower temperature value. So, if I had the temps Vadis'ed up a notch, they still wouldn't heat up any faster, it would just take longer to reach the new higher setting.

Other than that, I like the default settings.

Side story: One time we were test driving an Audi, and my wife had never experienced heated seats. I sneakily turned hers on. After a minute, I told her that when you are driving the "right" car, you just get this "warm and fuzzy" feeling in your behind. Then she noticed the heat and wondered what in the heck was going on. I am glad we didn't buy that car, or the XC never would have happened.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

My 01 XC seats warm up fast and hot, when i switch to lower heat it stays comfortable the rest of the ride.
    Last edited by mvho; 12-07-2004 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling nok
    2001 XC / 210.000 Km / Polartic Blue Exterior

I have a post on this here that's probably a couple pages back. My '04 seats do not get as warm as they should, and are quite obviously on the lowest setting (or a low setting anyway). I've been meaning to take my car in to get this upgraded, but it hasn't really gotten cold enough yet here for me to make the appointment.
    2008 Ice White/Graphite Leather XC70
    1986 Vespa T5

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons
    Side story: One time we were test driving an Audi, and my wife had never experienced heated seats. I sneakily turned hers on. After a minute, I told her that when you are driving the "right" car, you just get this "warm and fuzzy" feeling in your behind. Then she noticed the heat and wondered what in the heck was going on. I am glad we didn't buy that car, or the XC never would have happened.
    My old service advisor for my Saab as a joke used to turn everyone's seat heaters on high (1-5) when they picked up their cars whether it was 90f or 20f. You'd get 10 minutes away start sweaten' ...He was quite a character.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

My service rep told me that the heated seats also worked in conjunction with the outside air temp. Is this bogus information? I have indeed noticed that my seats seem warmer, but it is probably just because it is colder than when I purchased my 04 back in August. I may ask once again for them to crank it up via VADIS.

Speaking of comfort, why is it that Volvo likes to slowly warm you up? If I get into my car and it's 35 degrees f out (that is cold here in California), once my car warms up shouldn't it just crank the fan? I have to set the temp high and manually override the fan to get the cabin temp up then I hit auto to let it keep it there. Yes, very minor gripe I know. Just disappointing when my wife insists that her Passat has better climate control...and I have to agree.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Our I30 did that, as soon as the engine temp was high enough, the fan would kick up to full-tilt boogie. I don't think I have ever had the XC's fan to on full high for any condition in automatic mode, even freezing cold or scorching hot (AC on). Maybe it's a noise factor or something.

I just leave mine on 70f automatic and never think about it. Even in the winter I don't manually switch the AC off. I don't know how much the compressor engages in the winter, but it is needed periodically to keep it lubed up.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

The defrost button does the trick for me if I need a quick heat up soon after starting up the car. Otherwise things seem to heat up just fine (and quite quickly) on regular auto settings.
    2008 Ice White/Graphite Leather XC70
    1986 Vespa T5

You guys have it easy south of the border. Up here in central Alberta it got to -25C today and I was so warm in my Volvo that I had to turn the heat down however the seats did not warm up as fast. Once it hits -35C I'll let you know if I have any problems.

guys...appreciate all the feedback....nevertheless, this is my 4th volvo wagon and the seats are definitely set too low. I know they can be reset via vadis, but I don't want to pay for it......I'll try again at the volvo dealer, though I may try complaining first to volvo....JF

If your car is an 04, and under 12000 miles, then you can make them do it as an adjustment, can't you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast