From reading this and other boards, I understand you need to pay a $2k deposit to pre-order a V8 but the actual order isn't accepted by Volvo yet. The $2k is only to reserve a delivery month. My local dealer, who does a lot of OSDs, says otherwise. He said he only needs a name now, so we gave him name. No deposit. No specs needed. I called Volvo corporate and they reiterated the $2k deposit and ability to reserve a delivery month. But even when we called the dealer back today, he said nothing about a deposit but said if we wanted to fill out forms, we could go ahead to do that. Then we called back and mentioned the name of the person at corporate with whom we spoke and told him what we were told and then he started using words like "Sir" and became very courteous all of a sudden and said he'd accept deposit. Of course I'd rather have the $2k in my pocket, but I don't want to miss the chance to get the V8. We have a car that would need to be replaced by next summer so we don't want to find out that all the allocations for V8 have been given out.

Should I even continue with this dealer? I fear that if I order it from someone else and have it delivered to this one, or another local dealer, we would get bad service at redelivery and on an on-going basis. Also, since we already gave him our name, isn't there a commitment of some sort that we'd buy it from him?