Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (littlewaywelt @ Dec. 01 2003,15:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When is it bad enough to warrant chains? Personally I think that has yet to be determined at least for me. I&#39;ve had problems with the volvo vc awd on a flat surface with minimal snow when the car was at a standstill (awd wouldn&#39;t engage). Conversely, I&#39;ve done fine in the car pushing through 12-18 inches so long as I kept the car moving. More than 2 feet of snow would, imo probably require the use of traction devices like z chains, especially if the snow was wet and heavy, which puts this type of awd system at a disadvantage. I had my car through snow that deep and I got through (with the stock scorpions), but it wasn&#39;t pretty like with a Jeep. One other issue with the xc in deep snow is that the nose design and skid plates help the front lift up over the snow like a ski resulting in lower traction.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    18 inches&#33; &nbsp;I would think the car would get high-centered before that depth.
    On the road: Black/Taupe Leather 2004 V70 AWD with Premium and Touring Packages, HU-803 AudioMax, and Xenon Headlamps
    Formerly: Box-Stock 2003 XC70 White/Taupe Leather with Premium and Touring Packages and HU-803 AudioMax (Dec 03-Jan 04)

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chipshot @ Dec. 01 2003,15:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">18 inches&#33; I would think the car would get high-centered before that depth.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I pushed through up to 18 inches last winter in a pretty solid storm. &nbsp;I did get lifted up a few times, but I had enough momentum to get through. &nbsp;The heavier and more consolidated the snow the less likely one can push through and the more likely one is to become a beached whale/brick.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12