Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imported post

Any opinions on chains for my new XC70?

California Highway Patrol will require this (on occasion) up in the mountain areas.
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav

Default Imported post

Z Chains
    2001 v70xc tires are 215 65-16
    http://www.scc-chain.com/NewFile....ts.html

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

Here is what they have for the sizes you've given me from Security Chain Co.'s Tire guide:

SCC Products 215/65-16
    SC Cable SC 1038
    Shur Grip SG 2412CM
    Shur Grip Z SZ 335
    Quick Grip QG 1138
    Quick Grip QG 1254
    Quick Grip QG 1854
    Z-Chain LT ZP 555
    Whitestar WS 1313

I take it you have the Z Chains and like them.
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav

Default Imported post

I had Z chains for my last Jeep and a Saab and my brother had them for his old Saab. Yes, I really liked them. They install easilly (about 10 minutes) and will get a car through almost anything. I don't have them for the XC because I'm not in the snow enough anymore to warrant them.  Make sure you clear it with your dealer or manual to make sure that you aren't going to do something that will violate your warranty.

Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

I bought Volvo Chains in Stockholm for XC 70--My calif. dealer has a form saying I can't use chains--Dealer sells spider traction.  I questioned them about why I can't use chains if Volvo sells them for the XC 70 and they have no answer but like you I have them just in case for Calif. law and hope never to use them. I suspect the reason they had against chains was that with the viscous AWD there was a problem of clearance also the reason that tire wear was of major importance but it seems that Haldex AWD solves all these problems.
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

I was told that for an AWD vehicle you have to get chains for all four wheels?

Is this true?

Are chains really necessary for this car?
    '04 V70XC RED with Premium and Sport Package

Edge Icarus (Titus RacerX) || Norco Team Ti || Specialized Big Hit || Lightspeed Tuscany

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sharon @ Nov. 30 2003,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was told that for an AWD vehicle you have to get chains for all four wheels?

Is this true?

Are chains really necessary for this car?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Chains go on the main drive wheels which are the front for the XCs. You could put chains on all wheels in deep snow if needed but that would be a special case.

Chains can be necessary if you drive on icy mountain roads or on unplowed rural roads. As I learned long ago, 4 x 0 = 0. And sometimes chains are required by road authorities on all vehicles even when they are not really necessary.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Big @ Nov. 30 2003,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sharon @ Nov. 30 2003,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was told that for an AWD vehicle you have to get chains for all four wheels?

Is this true?

Are chains really necessary for this car?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Chains go on the main drive wheels which are the front for the XCs. You could put chains on all wheels in deep snow if needed but that would be a special case.

Chains can be necessary if you drive on icy mountain roads or on unplowed rural roads. As I learned long ago, 4 x 0 = 0. And sometimes chains are required by road authorities on all vehicles even when they are not really necessary.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If it&#39;s bad enough out to warrant chains, they should be on all four tires for a few reasons. &nbsp;If you have a pre-haldex awd system you want the same diameter on all the tires. &nbsp;Additionally, having chains on the rear wheels will help with braking and in reducing oversteer.

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (littlewaywelt @ Dec. 01 2003,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If it&#39;s bad enough out to warrant chains, they should be on all four tires for a few reasons. If you have a pre-haldex awd system you want the same diameter on all the tires. Additionally, having chains on the rear wheels will help with braking and in reducing oversteer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I guess my question is what is bad enough to warrant chains...

I&#39;ll be driving over a couple of mountain passess this weekend. (Vancouver to Kelowna over the coquihalla and connector for the locals).

Usually the roads are plowed and there is only a layer of snow on them. I&#39;ve driven them before in this condition with this car with no problems.

My concern is we&#39;ve had some pretty extreme systems come through that have closed the roads, one is forcasted to come this weekend.

Personally I think that if the roads are good enough to be open, the car will be ok. But it probably wouldn&#39;t hurt to at least carry chains.

Thoughts? (ours is the 2001 XC)

'04 V70XC RED with Premium and Sport Package

Edge Icarus (Titus RacerX) || Norco Team Ti || Specialized Big Hit || Lightspeed Tuscany

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sharon @ Dec. 01 2003,14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (littlewaywelt @ Dec. 01 2003,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If it&#39;s bad enough out to warrant chains, they should be on all four tires for a few reasons. If you have a pre-haldex awd system you want the same diameter on all the tires. Additionally, having chains on the rear wheels will help with braking and in reducing oversteer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I guess my question is what is bad enough to warrant chains...

I&#39;ll be driving over a couple of mountain passess this weekend. (Vancouver to Kelowna over the coquihalla and connector for the locals).

Usually the roads are plowed and there is only a layer of snow on them. I&#39;ve driven them before in this condition with this car with no problems.

My concern is we&#39;ve had some pretty extreme systems come through that have closed the roads, one is forcasted to come this weekend.

Personally I think that if the roads are good enough to be open, the car will be ok. But it probably wouldn&#39;t hurt to at least carry chains.

Thoughts? (ours is the 2001 XC)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    When is it bad enough to warrant chains? Personally I think that has yet to be determined at least for me. &nbsp;I&#39;ve had problems with the volvo vc awd on a flat surface with minimal snow when the car was at a standstill (awd wouldn&#39;t engage). &nbsp;Conversely, I&#39;ve done fine in the car pushing through 12-18 inches so long as I kept the car moving. &nbsp;More than 2 feet of snow would, imo probably require the use of traction devices like z chains, especially if the snow was wet and heavy, which puts this type of awd system at a disadvantage. &nbsp;I had my car through snow that deep and I got through (with the stock scorpions), but it wasn&#39;t pretty like with a Jeep. &nbsp;One other issue with the xc in deep snow is that the nose design and skid plates help the front lift up over the snow like a ski resulting in lower traction.

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast