Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass-XC
    I really hate to think that I'm a future member of this "club" (ETM failures) but I'm thinking it could happen. Recently I've experienced a minor hesitation when starting off from a dead stop. If I really put my foot into it, the turbo will kick in and the hesitation will cease. This phenomenon is not constant and is only intermittent. I haven't had the dash warning light come on yet and I'm hoping it's only a dirty ETM or air filter. I recently relocated to the gulf coast of Florida (panhandle) and I really hope it's just mucked up with sand and / or salt. I don't have all of my tools here yet - how hard is this to remove and clean with just "basic" tools?
    Well - I'm now an official member of the ETM Failure Club. On my way to the cigar shop this afternoon the ETS light came on and all of a sudden all I could do was 30mph. I limped into a parking lot and shut down the engine. Two trys later it fired up - with seemingly no ill after affects. I came directly home. First thing in the morning I'm calling the dealer as well as the indipendent here in town. I have no intention of paying for a replacement throttle module. Luckily I do have an extended warranty, so we'll see what happens when I mention that.

In the event that neither mechanic (dealer or indy) will consider cleaning the unit, does anyone know what tools are required for this task? I recently relocated and I don't have all my tools with me yet. I suspect a new set of metric wrenches are in my future.

Note to tgrumaj (Tom) - Thanks a bunch for the TSB. I think my ETM is located closer to the fan belt (passenger side) than that "sketch" indicates.

I've read where you can tell if an ETM has been replaced by the color of the sticker affixed to it. I didn't see where there was much room for a sticker on this unit - unless I was looking at the wrong part. Can anyone enlighten me with a photo? Thanks !!
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I've read where you can tell if an ETM has been replaced by the color of the sticker affixed to it. I didn't see where there was much room for a sticker on this unit - unless I was looking at the wrong part. Can anyone enlighten me with a photo? Thanks !!
    As told to me by my independent Volvo tech, a yellow sticker indicates a replacement part. A white sticker is usually original, or an early replacement part. You should be able to see this sticker by standing at the front of the car, and looking down at an angle between the top of the radiator and the intake plenum. Underneath the intake is a black box, that is the ETM. The sticker should be clearly visible on the front vertical edge of it.
    1999 XC70 Nautical blue/taupe, Cannondale Spica wheels, ipd skid plate (weekends)
    1991 Alfa Romeo 164S (daily driver)
    1967 Ford Mustang coupe (show car)
    ...and several other Italians ... (for fun)

Well - I'm now an official member of the ETM Failure Club. On my way to the cigar shop this afternoon the ETS light came on and .....

Now I also is a member of the ETM failure club . The ETS lamp and the lamp with en engine symbol lightend up recently. The engine is not running smooth anymore. The power though, seems like normal, but this, I reckon, will not last for long. Visited the Volvo dealer today and the said they had to replace the module. Cost about $1600 (NOK10000).

Default Consider Cleaning?

While any dealer will tell you "replace" there is an option to have the TB cleaned. I had that done after getting the "light" and it's been running fine for 14 months (touch wood and pray it continues!!) It's about a 2-3 hour job so it isn't cheap (about 200-300 US) but that's way less than 1,600!!

There is a TSB out there from Volvo on cleaning the TB. Both BluegrassXC and I have had this done and it fixed the problem. The dealer doesn't want to do it because 1) it might not work or the problem will reoccur and then you'll be mad because you spent 200 and got nothing 2) they don't make nearly as much money!

It's up to you but cleaning the TB is an option that has worked for some of us 1st gen owners.

Good luck.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Question 60,000 mile service - Replace and Clean Throttle Body

We had throttle body issues on our 2001 and they said we needed to replace. They offered good will since we only had 57,000 miles or so and said we would have to pay 1/3 - $329.

Since we live 1 hour away we went ahead and had 60,000 mile service performed at the dealer. Maybe it was a mistake taking it to the dealer because we walked out with over $1200 worth of service.

After looking at the service guide that the dealer published with the list of service items performed at the 60,000 mile service I noticed that the 5th item down listed "clean and adjust throttle body" so I ask the dealer if I should have gotten a discount on the $499 charge for the 60,000 mile service since they replaced the throttle body. There reply - "Regarding the throttle cleaning that is mentioned in the service menu.
    You were not charged for this,cleaning is only done on older models.
    We appreciate your bringing this to our attention and intend to change
    the wording on subsequent service menus." Something doesn't seem right with this reply.

Also, I just found out that our 2001 is under a recall to replace the cooling fan - Does replacement of the cooling fan make the replacement or cleaning of the throttle body easier or the work under the 60,000 mile service that is done?

Default Cooling Fan vs. ETM

Can't really say as I don't know if what they have to do on the 2001 to fix the fan. I can say that if they had to completely remove the cooling fan on my 99 that would make access to the 99XCs ETM easier. (from what I can see). But what needs to be done on the 2001 fan and the location of the 2001 ETM is not something I have a good feel for. Definately sounds fishy given the service message.

I know that if I have the ETS light again I'm just going back to my independent Volvo mechanic and have it cleaned again. When and if that doesn't fix it I'll bite the bullet and have the ETM replaced at the dealer.
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Lightbulb Clean it or replace it?

As I read some other replies I noticed that there seems to be two opinions. One says that cleaning it will probably solve the problem in many of the cases and another that says cleaning is not the issue, but there is actually a mechanical failure. It almost sounds like there are two separate issues that can cause the same or very similar symptoms.

Default You're Probably Right

You're most likely right that there could be a complete failure of the ETM vs. simply a "gunking up" that a good cleaning requires. I don't think that the dealers seem to know the difference nor do I. From all the conversation on this board and Brickboard it seems to me that the dealers have a "if the ETS light is on replace the ETM" mentality. It is time consuming and difficult to get to the ETM so once there it's easier to replace the module and it will definately take care of the problem regardless of whether it's a faulty module or one that needs cleaning. What's not clear is if there are different codes or different behaviors or even different "looks" of the ETM that would tell someone if it's a faulty module or just a dirty module. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has done more detailed research on this and has an educated opinion.
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Question Picture of ETM?

Does anyone have a picture of the ETM so I know exactly what I should be looking for when I lift the hood? There has been several descriptions of where it is located but I am still unsure if I am looking in the correct area. Thanks for being patient with this novice.

Clearly stated. It would be great to get and educated opinion on this.