Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

VERY glad to hear everyone is OK. Join the club. I've been driving Volvo's since early 70's and in 72 rolled and flipped a sedan. The car landed on all 4 wheels...I unbuckled and OPENED the door and walked out!!! All the doors were aligned as was the car. Side panel damage and one corner of the roof was squashed. NOW THAT'S A CAR

BTW - It was painted that hideous visibility orange...wish we could still get that eh?

I did some research on the safety of the Volvo breaks before buying one. I wondered how the safety of children on the optional third row (or pets in the trunk) is preserved when the car is hit from behind and the crumble zone folds up.
    The answer I found is that there is no crumble zone as such in the rear. The car is built with two safety cabins, the front one reaching until the second seat row, the second being the rear area. When the car is hit from behind, the chassis will intentionaly fold between these two "safe areas" as ca be seen in the pictures. This folding action absorbs the same amount of anergy as normal crumble zones while preserving the integrety of the occupants.
    I find this a very ingenious solution and I wonder if Volvo is the only manufacturer to apply it or if it is common in breaks.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Hello Willy, all,

I have a question about the "crumble zone". Where can I read some technical information about it? Specifically, I would like to know how the crumble zone affects
    safety of occupant in a side crash. It seems to me in case of a side impact, the
    crumble zone may cause the car to "split' at the place where the two cabins are
    "connected"! Does this make sense?

Regards,
    Ali Moezzi

Quote Originally Posted by moeali
    ...Specifically, I would like to know how the crumble zone affects safety of occupant in a side crash. It seems to me in case of a side impact, the crumble zone may cause the car to "split' at the place where the two cabins are "connected"! Does this make sense?
    Hi, Ali. No, I'm not entirely sure your question does make sense. But I'll try to answer it.

The crumple zones (or more correctly, "deformation zones") are primarily in the front and rear of the vehicle where they can absorb much of the energy of a collision, not so much on the sides.

The safety cage which surrounds the passenger compartment is designed to be extremely rigid and to deform as little as possible. The safety cage of a modern Volvo incorporates Side Impact Protection System (SIPS), which is designed to distribute the force of a side impact over a much larger area. The sides also have extra rienforcement framing members to further protect the occupants.

In the event of a side impact collision the crumple zones which will hopefully offer you the greatest benefit are those in the front of the other vehicle. When they deform they absorb energy of the collision, thus helping to protect the occupants of both vehicles.

Hope I cleared things up.

-Todd

'06 XC70, Black/Graphite: Prem/Conv/Clim Packages, Bi-Xenon, Privat Sekt 18", 235/50 Goodrich G-Force, Hidden Hitch, Thule Evo
    '05 S60R , Black Sapphire metallic/Atacama: 6 speed manual, 20% vlt tint, 17" Pegs, iPod
    '03 BMW K1200GT, Metallic Silver-Green: Z-Technic exhaust & chip, 141+ bhp, bling, bling, bling--too much to list
    "Lose the pants!" Utilikilt.com

I consider Volvo's as disposable transportation. Get in an accident, walk away, dispose of the vehicle and get a new one! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Yeah Volvos are super safe. and thanks for posting this thread back. i was looking for those photos.

the volvo shop i work at have a 740 wagon with front end damage. I looked at it, hood,grill,lights, fender, radiator, impact bar was damage. The engine was useable, but we are going to junk the car. Also heard from the service manager that a Benz rear ended a Volvo. The Volvo was able to drive away but the Benz was totalled. I was glad that the 740 wagon owner, is now looking for another Volvo. I guess volvo is for life!
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Did you say that white one was totaled? I've seen ones more bent and mangled than that pulled straight. Just wondering.

Yes, it was totaled.
    2002 V70XC Glacier White --> 2004 XC70 Ice White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12