Default Rear hatch has lost its supporting force

Hey all! I still love this car we bought new 19 years ago, I no plans of replacing it. Soooo... I live with its weird stuff. The latest is that my rear hatch has lost its supporting force. If it is open fully, it doesn't even try to stay open. I assume there is some kind of gas strut buried in the roof? Anyone else have to deal with this? I'm thinking it will be a $1,500 part, or make a prop to hold it open. Thanks for any bad news!
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

30799161 x2 - an easy DIY

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strut.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	9567

Thanks! Looks a lot easier than replacing struts, drive shafts, motor mounts, etc that I've already done on this car. I do appreciate the time you took to skool me.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    Thanks! Looks a lot easier than replacing struts, drive shafts, motor mounts, etc that I've already done on this car. I do appreciate the time you took to skool me.
    It’s a bit fiddly getting the trim off. The struts are easy with the trim removed.

Stabilus is the OE supplier. Good quality. Far, far cheaper than OEM.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-xc70-30799161
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Dang, I had already ordered some on eBay for $21 ($130 OEM). Oh well, should last for a while. I probably should do my hood struts too, I get a bit of drift and don't want to get conked on the head.

I just replaced the rear hatch struts on our 2004 last week. Word of caution, remember to use something to prop the hatch all the way open before you pop one of those struts off! That hatch is really heavy! I neglected to think of that and nearly broke my thumb. Thankfully my thigh caught the brunt of the hatch before it fell all the way and took my thumb off (which was wedged into the hinge with the screwdriver I used to pop the strut off). I came out of it with a big bruise on my thigh, and I consider myself lucky!

The eBay units ended up being about 1/4" longer, and they were a monster to install! I has to remove the rear bolt from the roof bracket and let it swing down so the stud toggled away a bit. Once the strut was snapped on, I had to wrestle the bracket back into place. I finally got it, and the function is great. I just ordered some for my hood before I get konked out by it.