Thread: coolant in oil

Default coolant in oil

Very unlikely I'm sure, but is there any other source for coolant making its way into the crankcase other than blown head gasket? The vehicle is a 2001 V70XC mileage approx 90,000 with updated timing belt. Oxy sensor is generating occasional codes, but no other major problems. Worth cost to repair? Thx in advance for input..

If your engine has an oil cooler (coolant to oil oil cooler) it may be your source.

Hey ssicarman, I'm having same issue (2001 v70 xc, 313K miles) and wondered about the oil cooler. Have you heard of the oil cooler failing, leaking (only) into the crankcase? Do you know of a way to check the cooler without removing it? Pressure test cooling system? I seem to have coolant in the oil but no oil in the coolant. Rapid coolant loss without apparent leak. No sign of coolant on dipstick of cold engine. With slightly warm engine, distick oil full of bubbles but not foamy (yet). Got to have hope it's not the head gasket.
    Last edited by MurphsLaw; 11-26-2022 at 09:50 AM. Reason: better explanation

Hello Murphslaw, I haven't seen any solid information on how coolant might get into the oil passages on the 01 XC70 other than head gasket failure (which is thought to be rare for this engine). Have you found any reference to such a possibility? I did find a "block tester" device at Advance Auto that will detect exhaust or combustion gases leaking into the coolant system and will try that on my vehicle in a week or so when the temperatures get above freezing here in WI. Thx in advance for any info.

If you want to do a proper "leak test" get yourself an OTC leak tester unit. It will cost $80 and you will need small compressor for the job. If you don't want to own this tool which you will likely only need once-pay a qualified engine repairs shop to diagnose your engine and request this test.