Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default any way to reset bulb failure message?

Any way to reset bulb failure message?
    I replaced bulb, bulb now lights, message (and warning light triangle) still there, despite several cycles of driving.
    Year 2001 vehicle.
    Last edited by rhauptschein; 04-24-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    09 Toyota Prius, Sprectra Blue
    01 Volvo V70XC, Ice Blue, 7-seater, built 4-01
    85 Ford Country Squire, Beige Woody, V8, ~79K mi [RIP]
    70 Chevy Malibu, Forest Green, V8 (ret)

The bulb warning systems usually work based on resistance.
    If the bulb you replaced has a silver base but the new one is brass then this can keep the warning. If the bulb wattage is different this can keep the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by rhauptschein View Post
    Any way to reset bulb failure message?
    I replaced bulb, bulb now lights, message (and warning light triangle) still there, despite several cycles of driving.
    Year 2001 vehicle.
    There's no reset and it doesn't require any drive cycles to clear. The way the bulb failure circuit works is current flow through a shunt, which is a low resistance resistor, and an expected voltage drop across the shunt. If there's no current or too little current through the shunt the voltage drop won't be what is expected and you'll get the bulb failure message. The message should go away as soon as the expected current flow and voltage drop is corrected. What is the message, which light is out?

Some things to check
    Did you replace the bulb with the correct wattage bulb?
    Are there any other bulbs still out?
    In a dark area do you notice any difference in brightness between the same bulbs types (brake,tail,indicator) when comparing side to side? Any difference would indicate one side is resistive or wrong bulb type.
    What's the condition of the bulb socket, is the bulb socket in good shape and a good fit and are the contact clean?

Just keep in mind, anything that stops or lowers the current through a monitored bulb (taillights, brake lights, indicator lights, low beams) will cause this message. Too low current can be caused by wrong bulb type, resistance in the sockets, relays or connectors (burnt or corroded).

If a new problem arises (unrelated to bulbs), will the message system allow the display of new problem, Or does current bulb message block new messages (as you said, it may block if a new bulb blows out)??

Quote Originally Posted by rhauptschein View Post
    If a new problem arises (unrelated to bulbs), will the message system allow the display of new problem, Or does current bulb message block new messages (as you said, it may block if a new bulb blows out)??
    I could be wrong but I seem to recall seeing a couple of messages once so I think the message system can store and display more than one message.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Multiple messages

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVolvo View Post
    I could be wrong but I seem to recall seeing a couple of messages once so I think the message system can store and display more than one message.
    Yes, it will show multiple messages. Per pesonal experience, the bulb message does not preclude other unrelated messages from appearing.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

turns out bulb was not installed correctly - had to be repositioned

As a note - first, thanks for the update. Next, I clean the socket with a wire brush before putting new bulbs in place. Corrosion can up the socket resistance to the point where the bulbs fail sooner and/or the warning message comes on as the car sees the wrong resistance in the circuit.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I use a smear of conductive grease, or electrical contact grease, on bulbs and contacts. In my experience, it helps especially with rear lights.