Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Too *Much* Crankcase (PCV) Vacuum?

While the dealer was performing the air bag recall service I asked that they check the PCV breather vacuum.

The tech reported that vacuum was too high and suggested that may be due to plugged passages to the oil pan. In 18 years on this forum, I don't recall anyone else ever mentioning the crankcase vacuum being too high. The diagnostic indication mentioned for a clogged PCV has always been too little vacuum.

So, I'd appreciate feedback from you experienced members who understand this PCV breather system better than I do.

There are only 85,000 miles on this car. PCV system has never been serviced. 45% highway and 55% around town mileage, so short trips may have played a role, though we do our best to combine errands and get the engine fully warmed up on each outing. Ran Valvoline semi-synthetic blend oil for the first 40,000 miles, and Mobil 1 Euro 0W40 since. Oil changes annually, so typically 3,000 - 5,000 miles.
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 03-16-2022 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added oil change interval.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.