Default new member, engine cuts out

Hello, I'm a new member here. Last July I purchased a 2006 and absolutely love it, my wife like it so much she went and bought a 2018 XC60.
    My 70 has 160k, and the previous owner did the timing belt/ water pump, and completely rebuilt the suspension. I've done new tires, and changed the trans fluid twice which was a great improvement. It has a few quirks, and is in need of the PCV service, for which I bought everything from FCP. Several times since Mid December, the engine has completely cut out for a second, and then picked back up. No check engine light is set, and nothing seems wrong after. Feels like it just suddenly loses all power, as if the engine was shut down, and then it picks back up. It did it one time at a light and left me stuck for about 20 seconds, again no code. When that happened, I had to try to start it several times, and finally it fired up.
    It has thrown a check engine light a few times that did not coincide with this problem, but may be related. I have the icarsoft reader, and the codes have been
    P0193 fuel rail pressure sensor A circuit high
    ECM121B MAF flow too low
    P0101 Volume air flow A circuit range/ performance
    There has also been a code for IAT (intake air temp?)
    and another for forward oxygen sensor.
    All of my reading has suggested that the problems are probably the throttle body or possibly the fuel pump. I'm fine testing or replacing either, but I hate to blindly throw parts at a problem. If it's the throttle body, I'll order it and replace it while I have the front apart for the PCV service. If it's the fuel pump, that would be a good excuse to drop the driveshaft and do the Haldex service, though I admit it looks like a miserable job.
    FWIW, I do have access to a laptop with VIDA/DICE, it just has not worked out favorably for me to get it yet. This is a second car, so having it down and apart is not an issue.
    Many thanks.
    Philly

If your PCV hasn't been serviced in the life of the car, at 160k miles it's definitely due. Have you tried putting a plastic glove over the oil filler hole then starting your car? If you get suction of the glove, that's good. If the glove inflates, your PCV is clogged. When you do the PCV, you can take off the throttle body, see if it's gummed up and give it a good cleaning. If a PCV service and TB cleaning don't help the stalling, then the fuel pump could be the issue. Some people have noticed a gas smell in the passenger compartment when their fuel pump has started going bad.

I think VIDA/DiCE has a test for the throttle body to see if it's working correctly though I've never tried it.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    If your PCV hasn't been serviced in the life of the car, at 160k miles it's definitely due. Have you tried putting a plastic glove over the oil filler hole then starting your car? If you get suction of the glove, that's good. If the glove inflates, your PCV is clogged. When you do the PCV, you can take off the throttle body, see if it's gummed up and give it a good cleaning. If a PCV service and TB cleaning don't help the stalling, then the fuel pump could be the issue. Some people have noticed a gas smell in the passenger compartment when their fuel pump has started going bad.

I think VIDA/DiCE has a test for the throttle body to see if it's working correctly though I've never tried it.
    Oh the PCV definitely needs to be done, it's not pulling a vacuum very well, and has left signs below the dipstick.
    Does the cleaning work well? I've read 50-50 reports as to wether it's effective, or that once they're starting to go they're done and need to be replaced.
    I may have the VIDA this weekend, though I'm not experienced with it. My understanding is that for this old of a car, the subscription is not needed, just the software and DICE unit, is that correct?

I completely agree with Xfingers advice,
    I had idle trouble with codes p0101 and ecm121B, I bought my car used as well and was unsure of the PCV being serviced so I overhauled it and replaced everything besides the hose that runs back to the intake and PTC. When I replaced I also gave the throttle body a very good cleaning and my issues have not come back.
    My PCV was actually fairly clean so I'm almost positive it was a gunked up throttle body though it did not look like enough grime to cause a vacuum issue it'll effect more than you think.
    In my opinion remove the throttle body (this can be done without removing the intake manifold just have to feel for the bolts probably a couple hour job for first time) clean as best as you can and reinstall, then see if your issues are still there.
    Then I would look at other places like the PCV its a big job
    If PCV hasn't been serviced though definitely jump it to the top of your to do

For the cleaning > buying new question I have seen people clean the entire system but honestly if you want to clean and not have to buy a whole kit I would probably buy the Oil trap (the big box itself) oem to replace as it is not easily cleaned and its only like $40 bucks and just clean/reuse the hoses/connections as long as they look OEM and dont have cracks or extreme age, some aftermarket hoses for these PCVs are deemed garbage by forum members
    Last edited by hoo8it; 03-04-2022 at 11:47 PM. Reason: mistake

During the PCV service, when you take off the old oil trap (black box) you'll see that it inserts into two ports in the engine body. Blockage of these ports can give an indication of just how plugged your PCV system is. You may find them to be anywhere from 50, 75, 95 percent clogged with black, oily sludge. I used a coat-hanger wire and a thinner wire to ream out these ports all the way down into the oil pan. You'll want to do an oil change immediately afterwards to get rid of all this crud you loosened. Some members removed the oil pan and cleaned out these passages from below but this is a bigger involved job. Make sure you know what's required to reinstall and reseal the oil pan if you go this route.

The large, expensive PCV pipe which wraps around the engine is usually recommended to be replaced as it can be the source of blockage. There is a cheaper repair where you replace the brittle, small tube and banjo bolt extending from the end of this pipe which connect to the underside of the intake manifold. I think you order a part from an XC90 and modify it to fit. Here's a thread: https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...ad-of-30731068

VIDA/DiCE will be a lifesaver if you want to read codes and work on your car. You'll need a laptop and the VIDA software can be a b!tch to install. No subscription necessary unless you have a reason to upgrade software.
    Check out this forum: https://www.swedespeed.com/forums/ob...anagement.121/
    To install VIDA, I used a virtual machine and ISO image file: https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...2#post-7846935
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Thank you all for the advice. I have the full PCV service kit from FCP (with the trap and every hose needed), and will do another trans fluid/ engine oil change at the same time. Also have new plugs, fuel filter, cabin air filter, etc. It sounds like it's worth running he VIDA before hand to see what's else might be going on, and then definitely cleaning the throttle body while it's out. After that, if there are still issues I can change out the throttle body if it still presents as a possible cause. Though it sounds like this service has a chance of solving my issues..
    I've cleared some projects from the barn and will try to get started this week.
    Thanks
    Philly

Just to follow up:
    Did a major service over the past week:
    PCV, engine and trans oil, plugs, coils, cleaned the throttle body, AC pressure switch, HVAC blower door actuators, Haldex service, fuel filter, thermostat and housing, fuel pressure sensor. The fuel filter was especially bad, and may have been related to my stalling. There was dirt just pouring from the inlet; I suspect it was original at 160K!!
    Erased all codes with VIDA, still learning to navigate the menus.
    Engine runs much better, though there are related CSC for "driving, hesitates/ surges" and there is a "MAF signal low" message.
    I have a Parking sensor sensor faulty message, that I would love to erase as I never use it with the aftermarket head units.
    SD