Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trying to find seat parts numbers

I'm going to try to get the parts for my seat whose heater malfunctioned and burned a hole in my leather. That will start with a search for part numbers to give the parts counter guy, who I am sure won't be able to find what I want. I'm looking for the heating element part or assembly. I'm seeing some parts sites that only go back to 2008, and even those only list accessories. Thanks.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

I'd dig into the seat first before buying anything. You may find there's just one or 2 breaks in the element. Easily fixed with a soldering iron and a couple inches of wire. If the element was rubbing on a support rod embedded in the foam, then do something to protect the element from getting abraided before putting the seat back together.

Brett

OK, I found some parts pics. They look like the heating element is in some kind of plastic "bag"? I've heard about the solder patch.

Although 18 years old, my car looks new when I clean it up. I would like to restore the interior, including the hole that looks like a big cigarette burn. I have in my signature, "Taupe" for interior, but I don't see a Volvo leather color that matches that. I used to have an original 2004 brochure what would have listed options, but I can't find it! Does just Taupe for a 2004 describe it accurately?
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

This older thread may help on color.

I recall reading somewhere else here that taupe and oak are the same, jrl's response on that thread indicates it may be more complicated.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

So I sent Volvo corporate a note saying the defective seat warmer burned a hole through my leather, but fortunately my ski pants protected my leg and the car didn't catch fire. They gave me a courtesy fix on an 18 year old car!

The heating element and foam were available still, but the leather seating surface was no longer available. The dealer had some leather guy fix the hole, and while he was at it, he fixed the lumbar side bolster wear. Is it like new? No. But you have to look really close to see it.

Very cool.

Tres cool! (Or in Swedish väldigt coolt!)
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    So I sent Volvo corporate a note saying the defective seat warmer burned a hole through my leather, but fortunately my ski pants protected my leg and the car didn't catch fire. They gave me a courtesy fix on an 18 year old car!

The heating element and foam were available still, but the leather seating surface was no longer available. The dealer had some leather guy fix the hole, and while he was at it, he fixed the lumbar side bolster wear. Is it like new? No. But you have to look really close to see it.

Very cool.
    Glad you took my advice when I told you to do that last year

I figure it's a known issue. They are doing anything they can to prevent a recall. I imagine cabin fires are probably one of the most serious malfunctions a car can have on paper.
    Hers- 04 XC70 2.5T, 300KM
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM