Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2011 XC70 won't shift out of Park

I'm at work and received a call from my wife that she can't shift out of park in her 2011 XC70 (non-AWD). Everything else seems ok, no lights on dash. Car has 89K miles and everything was operating normally yesterday.

I will do some online searching, but looking for the expert advice of this group on what to look at.

Thanks in advance.
    Current Vehicles
    2011 XC70
    2013 Audi Q5
    2000 Kawasaki KLR650
    1991 BMW K75 RT

The car shifted out of Park yesterday when the temperatures were warmer. Today it's back down in the single digits and now the car won't shift out of Park. I could hear a click near the shifter when I pressed the brake pedal yesterday, today I don't hear it. Based on the limited information I could find, it could be one of two things - the brake pedal switch or the shift interlock solenoid.

I've replaced pedal switches in the past, but not familiar with the shift interlock solenoid. Has anyone had any experience replacing this? Why would it only be a problem when it is cold?
    Current Vehicles
    2011 XC70
    2013 Audi Q5
    2000 Kawasaki KLR650
    1991 BMW K75 RT

Are you parking on a hill or a slope. If so when you park, put into N , then apply parking brake, then release foot brake, then put into P. The car will lurch forward slightly as you release the foot brake. If you don’t do this, and stop, then P then parking brake, it will roll a bit and hold the car against a gear. You can of course move the lever manually, remove the key spike from the remote fob, then go behind the center control panel and there is a flat space for sunglasses with a small rubber mat, or gromit .Remove this, and then is a small hole. Push the key spike into this hole , all the way in, to release the P lever.

It hasn't happened since winter, I believe the issue was the shift interlock solenoid.
    Current Vehicles
    2011 XC70
    2013 Audi Q5
    2000 Kawasaki KLR650
    1991 BMW K75 RT