Default passenger door not opening from the inside

Has anyone experienced the front passenger door not opening from the inside?
    Inside handle sort of gets stuck when pulling.
    I have to go use the exterior outside handle to open and shut normally.
    What's the fix (and cost)?
    Last edited by rhauptschein; 01-13-2022 at 04:05 PM.
    09 Toyota Prius, Sprectra Blue
    01 Volvo V70XC, Ice Blue, 7-seater, built 4-01
    85 Ford Country Squire, Beige Woody, V8, ~79K mi [RIP]
    70 Chevy Malibu, Forest Green, V8 (ret)

Childlock set? look for small orange sloted scew in door shut turn (30 degrees) with dumpy flatblade screwdriver.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Front passenger door (I forgot to mention front in my OP), so I believe the front doors do not have a childlock setting

There is a metal pin in the door panel that the inside door handle hinges on. This pin can slip out of position, allowing one side of the door handle to come out of its hinge, causing it to not open the door. If this happens, it might appear that the hinge is misaligned, when looking at it.
    This happened to me. I took the door panel off and pushed the pin back into position, which fixed the problem (free).
    Here's a posting describing what I did, in case you're having the same problem:

https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...oblem-(Solved)

Quote Originally Posted by BrickDriver View Post
    There is a metal pin in the door panel that the inside door handle hinges on. This pin can slip out of position, allowing one side of the door handle to come out of its hinge, causing it to not open the door. If this happens, it might appear that the hinge is misaligned, when looking at it.
    This happened to me. I took the door panel off and pushed the pin back into position, which fixed the problem (free).
    Here's a posting describing what I did, in case you're having the same problem:

https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...oblem-(Solved)
    Thanks BrickDriver. How do you remove the door panel??

There are a few other common issues that may prevent the handle from working. I've heard of a plastic clip failing and causing similar problems, but people have found ways to repair those, too. So, a good first step is to get the panel off and take a look at what is going on behind it.

On my car (2007), there are 8 plastic pins (“trim retainers”) holding the panel to the door. These pins have to be pried out. If you do this, I suggest starting with one that is less prominently visible, to learn on. You'll need to buy new pins for installing the panel, because they are single use. On my car, the part number for the pin is 39980615. Search for that number online and you can get an idea of how they work. To install one, you put the panel on the door, slide in the plastic pin, and then pound in the little pin column until it becomes smooth with the pin cap, thereby expanding the retainer behind the door frame.

Note that the pins are different for for various year ranges, so make sure you get the right ones, and the right color.

Another way to remove those plastic pins and possibly save them for reuse is before prying them out (I use a soft putty knife), PUSH IN ON THE CENTER BUTTON. That should make the pin pop out a little so you can easily remove it. When putting the pins back in, insert them into the holes then push in on the little center buttons. That should lock them back into place.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Sorry my bad didn't note FRONT door. Have you removed door card? The bowden cable is probably unclipped from the door handle on the back of the door card. Easilly fixed in five minutes. 1 Remove the individual fastners from around the door card and keep them safe. 2 Take a bone trim tool and remove the inside door pull cover from the bottem. Take a torx T25 screwdriver ( by car came with two od these reversible, so four T** tools) and remove the screws - a magnetic retrieval tool is useful here to prevent the screws falling and getting lost. 3 Carefully raise the door card up, just enough to remove the window seal and allow the door lock button lever to vacate the door card. Supporting the door card, not to strain the three eletrical connectrs (2 for the door master switch and 1 the tweeter loud speaker) look for the bowder cable, it is directly connected to the door latch mechanisum at one end; at the other it snaps directly into the reverse side of the door latch handle. Use a little lithiam grease or silicone. Replacement id reversal of disassembly.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver