Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Just got back from checking the whole work I did. I would have to pull out the intake manifold.
    Then I was thinking. The sound is caused by moving parts, so, it should be the engine or the serpentine belt and timing belt zone.

When I had started the car, the sound did not sound like knocking sound; it was not heavy.
    It sounded kinda "practa practa practa practa practa . . . " in quick succession.
    It sounded like there is a free-willing nut or metal object inside something some moving heavy metals.
    I was thinking, maybe some nut may have falling into the engine block, but where.
    In my work, the opening to the engine were through the spark plugs, when the oil pan was pulled or the opening through the breather box.
    Or could it be the VVT?

The interesting is, manually turning the engine does not produce any noise. I turned it hand full of times, no noise. One thing I experiences was, manually cranking the engine, the turn does not go smoothly. Every about (clock term) 25mins, the turn would hold a little, that is, I would have to put force to it to turn; not much force but significant enough to bring it up here. If the breaker bar is at 12oclock, it hold up at 12:25 (clock time). At 11:45, the bar held up (tighter) at 12:10, and so on.

I am really not in the best of mood about my issue here, after all the work I've done. Oh well, such is life.

Hope you all had good enough Thanksgiving period.
    Cheers

Could the "clattering" noise when I started the car come from either the VVT or the starter?
    Could something nut or a washer have fallen into the starter 'teeth'?
    If I manually turn the engine and no noise, how could it come from the VVT since all wheels move.

Just Googled Volvo starter to see how the Volvo's would orient and by looking at the one in the car. Something could not have falling into it, that left the VVT. The latter, I still doubt since no noise when manually turn the engine.
    Last edited by Oka; 11-28-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Clarity

Is it possible to locate where the noise is coming from by looking at the engine while someone (briefly) turns the key over? This could potentially be dangerous if you have a lose part somewhere. If the engine is making a horrible, terrible sound when you try to start it, you might also do further damage. I guess it would be a calculated risk you may or may not be willing to take.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Missing bolt and metallic noise? You've got a loose part that's hitting something else under rotation. The bolt itself would help, but short of that, time to start looking very, very carefully at your work. Did the alternator, AC compressor, or steering pump get loosened? Starter motor? Belt tensioner? Timing belt tensioner?

A mirror and a bright light would be where I start...
    Yippie, found where the bolt is from. It’s from the cam locking tool. Now so feel better. At least that worry is out.

Well done finding it Oka and fingers and toes crossed it has not done damage!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678