Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I would say it's worth a try. I guess the DiCE connection could run your battery down since your engine won't be running (and battery won't be charging) while you check for codes. You could hook a battery charger up while using VIDA or have another vehicle running with jumper cables attached to your car's battery.

If you're getting a metallic noise when cranking the engine, then something may be interfering. You could try manually turning the engine crank slowly with a socket and extension to see if you can determine the cause or where the noise is coming from. Re-check your work as much as possible to see if something was left unattached or put in the wrong place, etc...
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    I would say it's worth a try. I guess the DiCE connection could run your battery down since your engine won't be running (and battery won't be charging) while you check for codes. You could hook a battery charger up while using VIDA or have another vehicle running with jumper cables attached to your car's battery.

If you're getting a metallic noise when cranking the engine, then something may be interfering. You could try manually turning the engine crank slowly with a socket and extension to see if you can determine the cause or where the noise is coming from. Re-check your work as much as possible to see if something was left unattached or put in the wrong place, etc...
    I did a VIDA check but I could not determine anything our of the ordinary.
    I turned the crank manually, with the spark pugs removed, I did not hear any noise. I turned it to about three full rotations.

I wish I could post the VIDA results, but I can't. I also found a hex bolt on my work table after I was done. I could not post the pic of the bolt for someone to help me identify where the bolt may have been from. This site image upload is not working. I thought maybe it' my internet (firewall). I sent it to a friend of mine, who was not able to do so either. The image parameters are fine. The image uploading windows opens and I can see my past images. To be sure the image properties are fine, I used an image I already uploaded, changed it's name and tired; it still would not upload. I sent a message to the site managers, not reply. So now, I'm stuck with not being able to ask my question about the left out bolt.
    Last edited by Oka; 11-23-2021 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Clarity

Maybe something to think about, OKa...
    If you turn the engine crank manually and you hear no noise, why are you hearing noise when you turn the engine over with your ignition key? During the course of your repairs, did you do any work on or around the starter motor?
    You may very well have a better understanding of all of this than me (I lost all my oil too and did the PCV/cam seal replacement), but why are you turning over/cranking the engine without your spark plugs installed? Could this be contributing to the noise?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Missing bolt and metallic noise? You've got a loose part that's hitting something else under rotation. The bolt itself would help, but short of that, time to start looking very, very carefully at your work. Did the alternator, AC compressor, or steering pump get loosened? Starter motor? Belt tensioner? Timing belt tensioner?

A mirror and a bright light would be where I start...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default Bolt Found

I found this bolt when I was completely done. I did such a good job (I thought). Had everything well cleaned.
    I have been checking the parts I had worked on, on VIDA, but still cannot locate where the part came from.
    Since I cannot upload any image anymore, I decided to use the DropBox.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6klrfrshpy...Bolts.jpg?dl=0
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

If you turn the engine crank manually and you hear no noise, why are you hearing noise when you turn the engine over with your ignition key? During the course of your repairs, did you do any work on or around the starter motor?
    You may very well have a better understanding of all of this than me (I lost all my oil too and did the PCV/cam seal replacement), but why are you turning over/cranking the engine without your spark plugs installed? Could this be contributing to the noise?
    I would think that manually turning the engine, I should hear the same noise, or at least a little noise.

I did not do any work at the starter. Now, what if something had fallen into the starter wheel. Just a wild thought!

One of the members has asked me to remove the plugs and turn the engine, maybe I would hear the noise better.
    There was not noise with or without the plugs.

Now, one other thing. Though I don't think this would be the cause.
    Manually turning the crank, the VVT wheel grabs and let go. When it grabs or hold the turning, I can still turn the crank.
    I had the breaker bar at 12oclock. Turned it and the VVT seem to hold it at 4pm. It slackens, I Kept turning, the next hold by the VVT was at 9pm, the next, 2pm, the next at 7pm.

Should I (sadly) uninstall the Throttle Body, Manifold to take a close look at the starter and it's environs?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have some time tomorrow to really take a good look at the work I did. I may have to remove things.

I was thinking, might some metal stuff fallen inside the cylinders? If so, it would not have caused such rattling noise. The rattling/crackling noise was at a very quick succession.

I must take this opportunity to thank every one in helping me troubleshoot what the problem might be. I really appreciate it a lot.
    Thank you all for your time. Tomorrow as I trouble shoot, I will report on anything I might find suspicious.

I honestly don't recognize that bolt as being from a Volvo XC... Not to say that my memory is perfect, but I don't recall any Allen-head bolts, and that one has some length to it...

How is/was your oil pressure on start? Any chance that the VVT takes a bit of time to fill and cushion the internal movement?

I'm theorizing, here, but without hearing the sound, or seeing the engine, best I can do is guess..
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    I honestly don't recognize that bolt as being from a Volvo XC... Not to say that my memory is perfect, but I don't recall any Allen-head bolts, and that one has some length to it...

How is/was your oil pressure on start? Any chance that the VVT takes a bit of time to fill and cushion the internal movement?

I'm theorizing, here, but without hearing the sound, or seeing the engine, best I can do is guess..
    Before starting, I did not check the oil pressure. Would I have before starting?

About the VVT cushioning the internal component? Am lost here. I would not know.
    Thanks.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast