Default Driver Door Harness

I recently purchased a 2014 XC70. All was great for about a month and then I decided to install new speakers in the front doors.
    After I got the door panel back on I discovered the speaker in the driver door didn't work. Error messages showed up after starting the car ... Urgent SRS warning and Check Engine Light. Then I discovered intermittent problems with the driver door controls ... lock and unlock doors, all 4 window control coming and going.

After online research I checked the wire bundle from the dash to the door. I found 1 broken wire and repaired it. No improvement, so I purchased a DDM and had the dealer program it to my car. No real improvement. All indications lead me to believe faulty connection at the door.

Can anyone tell me common problems with the door harness? That would include a new connector on the door.

Any other suggestions?

TIA,
    Woody
    San Diego

Did you cut the nylon tie wrap restraining the wire bundle (at the hinge connector)? You can't fully inspect every wire unless you do this. I recommend replacing the hard nylon tie-wrap with a fabric Velcro belt (cut to the correct width and length to thread thru the anchor slot on the connector). I posted on this topic here:

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/p.../#post-7748150
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

I hope that OP was able to solve his concern already.

Here's an update ... and a mystery.

I disconnected the wire bundle between the door and dash, pulled back the rubber covering as far as I could and again looked for broken wires. None spotted. I took a sewing needle to pierce the individual wire jackets and reach the copper core. I measured resistance on each wire and found no breaks. I inspected the wires where attached to the female sockets on the back of the connector and checked the female sockets from the front. All appears good. (Yes - I did cut the small wire tie and carefully put the bundle back together with a Velcro strip)

I then removed the door panel. I removed the speaker to get access to the end of the wire harness at the door edge. I figured out how to remove the connector from the door and led it out through the the speaker opening. I pulled the rubber cover off the connector and visually inspected the wires. All looked good.

I sprayed both the door and dash connectors with contact cleaner and shook the solvent off. With the end of the wiring harness led through the speaker opening I connected it to the wire from the dash. I hung the speaker outside its spot on the door. Turning the car ON (not starting) I was happy to find the speaker working. (The speaker failure was one of the problems.) I thought SUCCESS.

I put the wire harness back in place and reinstalled the speaker. I connected the door to the dash. But now the speaker isn't working. I aggressively jiggle the wire from the door to dash. The speaker never comes to life.

Back to removing the wiring harness from inside the door. Another good spraying of both connectors with contact cleaner. Reconnection with harness coming through speaker opening. And the speaker works. I jiggle the connection and the speaker never stops working. I jiggle the wires on both sides of the connection and the speaker never stops working.

I reinstall the harness in the door. The speaker will not work. Another good spraying both sides with contact cleaner. The speaker still doesn't work.

How can it be ok with harness led through speaker opening but not when installed in door edge? What are the differences for the pins in the connectors not making contact? I don't understand.

I called the 2 local Volvo dealers. There is no wiring harness in stock on the west coast (I'm in San Diego). One dealer said he could get one from back east. I placed the order and am waiting the 1 to 2 weeks for delivery.

Anyone with experience with Volvos have any ideas?

Thanks,

Woody

This sounds like an internal short in the speaker. The speaker worked when not mounted, but stopped working when mounted. If that pattern holds up, check for a short between the speaker frame and either connector prong.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan