Default New Continental tire report

The Michelin tires on our 2014 aged out. Time to replace them.

I did my analysis paralysis looking over all the usual suspects and ended up replacing the Michelin with Continental TruContact tires. These are 235/60-18 rated you can get T or H rated versions.

Went for the T rated tires with nominally softer ride. That was last Thursday. I’ve done a 950 mile journey to SC through 90 degree temps and a horrendous series of pop up torrential rain storms. When dry, speeds were in the 70mph range, AC on all the time.

Result, 26.7mpg hand calculated, which I swear is better than with the Michelin. Grip on these torrential rain storms was fantastic. So was braking. I sense (perhaps because I want to) that the ride is quieter than the old tires, possibly softer even though pressures are to manufacturer recommendations.

If I feel this way after the next 1000 miles, I think our Subie will get the same tires.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

Been running Contys on both of our XC60's for awhile now, couldn't be happier

Update: We've done 7,000 miles on the XC since putting on the Contis including the miles in my original post. Sadly lost one to road debris while on a local trip. Most of the miles were interstate which ranged from 100 deg days like last week, to afternoons of torrential rain. They proved fantastic during an emergency maneuver to avoid an accident that left two cars sideways on the interstate at 4am in the morning. Just over the crest of a hill... One of those moments when you see brake lights come on in the distance and think "Uh--Oh"
    Very pleased with them.
    The Subie got a set as well with no complaints from my son. The CRV has a set for nearly a year. Yup....I'm happy.

Also got two $70 rebates from Continental for the two most recent purchases. Thats my $$. Don't tell the wife.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

ARGh... not having any luck with the Volvo COnti's. Son destroys the right front new replacement tire AGAIN. He now admits he can't parallel park. I'm also suspecting the sidewalls are pretty thin. So guess what. He's started to drive my CRV....I'm about to take it on another 2200 mile drive because it has Adaptive cruise and the Volvo doesn't.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)