Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mount a full size spare tire on the roof of a 2002 V70 XC?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Volvo.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	9490
    Does anyone have any experience or advice on carrying a full size spare on the roof without spending a lot? I have the standard roof rails and sliding cross bars (not in picture).

Why?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

We occasionally load up the dogs and camping gear for a fairly rugged camping trip. So, just to have more space inside and security of a full size spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammontree View Post
    We occasionally load up the dogs and camping gear for a fairly rugged camping trip. So, just to have more space inside and security of a full size spare.
    Exactly. If you do the least bit of off-pavement travel, you should carry a full-sized spare. The undersized thin emergency spare just isn't suited for anything more than perfect pavement at max 55 mph.

Brett

Thanks Brett! I do enjoy having the full size spare even though I haven’t needed it yet. I’m looking for a way to carry it on the roof for camping trips. I’ll probably go with a tray and a Y strap unless someone here has a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammontree View Post
    I do enjoy having the full size spare even though I haven’t needed it yet.
    A full size spare will fit in the spare tire compartment in your 2002 xc70. I did that for years on 2 different cars (2001 and 2002 - I know 2 of them!). The plastic tray above it won't fit and if you have a 3rd seat you have to unbolt part of it to get the tire in and out - but the full size tire fits.

Holy crap! I’m gonna try that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spare.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	9491
    Well it fits better than I thought it would! I'll wiggle on it more tomorrow; the battery box seems to be holding me up a bit.

If you deflate the tire, maybe it will get in there.

I'd put it on the roof. I don't think you'd use just cross bars. I think you'll want a basket. As mentioned your floor is going to be cockeyed, which will probably be annoying every time you're putting things in and taking things out of the back. If you're really packed full, a couple inches of lost clearance could mean the difference between fitting things perfectly and nothing fitting right. Then when you make the decision that you won't be putting the spare in the tire well, you start thinking what you're going to do with all that useful space. LOL. On-board air fits nicely.

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2891.jpeg  
    Last edited by Brett San Diego; 06-11-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Sounds like wise advice. I haven’t messed with it today, it’s 108 degrees out. The roof was my original thought and it’d only be on rare trips, this car spends most of the time close to home under the top level of AAA protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast