Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's currently muffed on your car that you're just going to live with?

Sure, failed throttle actuator modules and broken ignition switchwes are show stoppers that you have can't live without. What problems does you car current have that you are just going to live with? Here are some of mine:

- The driver's seat heater goofed up and burned a hole in the leather, which was perfect before that. No more seat heater in this car!
    - The tail gate light switch failed, no more cargo area light.
    - The stereo volume knob is getting flakey, turn it and the volume doesn't change. I now use the steering wheel button.
    - It randomly locks the doors, I know to never leave the key inside like in my garage.

That's about it, cuz I've fixed everything else along 18 year journey since buying the car. Anything you you just live with until the bitter end?
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

-Mirror/seat memory intermittently fails to automatically set to programed key fob 2 positions. So often when I use the car after wife (fob 1), I still must press button number 2 on the seat. Been like this almost since new.

-Passenger side wind noise at highways speeds, even though windows are fully closed, the doors appear to be properly aligned and all door gaskets are in place and supple.

-Play/rattle in passenger side rear view mirror housing after wife backed into a trash can with it, slightly distorting the degree of free-play between the mirror housing and pivot mount. Can eliminate the rattle temporarily with tape filling the excessive gap.

-Cabin vibration at idle. Even with all new motor mounts. May be due to poly sub-frame bushing inserts and crossbar inserts.

-Angle gear housing seepage - not much of an issue as long as I continue to change oil myself and check the gear level every year.

I too tend to fix everything else, including parking lot dings, so the rest is working as it should be, and car still looks virtually new. But only 84,000 miles on this one. I wouldn't mind replacing it, but wife is adamant we keep it.
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 05-31-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Oh, yeah, I have a clunk associated with some light downshifts and throttle float on/off/on. I replaced all the motor mounts with the last 20K miles, and the front axles within the last 5K miles (real, new, OEM-spec GKN axles). I can't imagine it's them, I'm wondering how much wear/tear backlash I have at this many miles.

I did have a maddening clunk in the front end that turned out to be the sway bar links. Glad to get that fixed after chasing it for years.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

very common -- the Alarm/siren module battery dies, and dumps a message onto the console. In some cases, the sunroof doesn't function anymore.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

1. Muffler rusted off for the 2nd time in 4 years, now I just deleted it and bolted on a straight pipe.
    2. Passenger side driver's mirror had a mind of its own (up and down on startup randomly) so I just cut the power feed to the X axis control, never an issue again
    3. Rear wiper motor seized multiple times after cleaning and freeing. Deleted the rear wiper and installed a $6 glass bung I found on eBay
    4. Deleted the right rear parking brake as the cable is seized, can't be arsed to fix it and live in a completely flat area
    5. Alarm siren is rotted. Tried like 4 different from the JY and all of them were corroded too. Just disconnected the module and removed fuse. All good.
    6. AWD is muffed, removed haldex fuse.

I think that's it... lol.. until the next hack job I do!
    Hers- 04 XC70 2.5T, 300KM
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

Hers- 04 XC70 2.5T, 270KM
    Yeah, I wouldn't fix anything on her car either.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett San Diego View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't fix anything on her car either.

Brett
    lol thanks for reminding me to update the mileage. Her car gets the most abuse too with the roof rack and trailer hitch. Two clunkers in my driveway mean I'm always out there making a mess. This year it was the wheel bearing followed by the alternator on hers, then a major vacuum leak and throttle issue that required about $200 worth of genuine Volvo hoses. Forgot to add my car has a freon leak which I can't be arsed to trace. Trying to decide if I'm more lazy or more cheap, but I'm definitely both.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    - The driver's seat heater goofed up and burned a hole in the leather, which was perfect before that. No more seat heater in this car!
    I actually had this happen on her car. I e-mailed Volvo corporate and they replaced the seat heater coil, seat cushion, and leather for free. Cabin fires are no joke and it seems Volvo is more than excited to avoid this becoming a recall issue on these cars. Only time I've ever had either of my cars in a dealership so I had them update all software modules for free while they were at it (service 2.0 I think is what the dealer speak is for it)
    Last edited by br0dy; 06-02-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

Quote Originally Posted by br0dy View Post
    lol thanks for reminding me to update the mileage. Her car gets the most abuse too with the roof rack and trailer hitch. Two clunkers in my driveway mean I'm always out there making a mess. This year it was the wheel bearing followed by the alternator on hers, then a major vacuum leak and throttle issue that required about $200 worth of genuine Volvo hoses. Forgot to add my car has a freon leak which I can't be arsed to trace. Trying to decide if I'm more lazy or more cheap, but I'm definitely both.

I actually had this happen on her car. I e-mailed Volvo corporate and they replaced the seat heater coil, seat cushion, and leather for free. Cabin fires are no joke and it seems Volvo is more than excited to avoid this becoming a recall issue on these cars. Only time I've ever had either of my cars in a dealership so I had them update all software modules for free while they were at it (service 2.0 I think is what the dealer speak is for it)
    How long ago was this? Mine looks like a cigarette burn, but I don't smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    How long ago was this? Mine looks like a cigarette burn, but I don't smoke!
    Just checked my records, Mon, Oct 30, 2017 is when I started the claim. Here's the pic I sent the Volvo Corporate office in Canada of the damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0904.jpg  
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

Nothing.

Honestly.

I’ve fixed everything. There is some wear in the leather bolster on the drivers seat. A few dings in the body. I won’t fix those, they’re cosmetic.

But mechanically? I fix everything. Now, the radio volume, that’s starting to be wonky, and 2002 radios aren’t available any more, even used. I replaced it once with a used one from Erie Volvo. So that may be a future “live with it” issue.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast