Default Shopping for a XC70

I am going to look at a 2001 XC70 with 135000 miles on it. It has had all the big maintenance items done within the last year including timing belt, PCV system replacement, fluids have been changed and motor mounts. My only concern is that this is still a 20 year old car that I would be daily driving. Is anybody else driving a car of this age reliably? What other issues might I expect to have to deal with. Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I love my 2002 V70 XC! I bought it with 130000 and now have 180000. It's nice having no car payment but you still have car payments. I've had to do the following: Replace passenger front CV axle, inner/outer tie rod ends, AC compressor, AC blower motor, MAP sensor, front struts, turbo intake manifold boot. Wouldn't trade or sell it though. I did most repairs myself. I worry about the transmission - it's fine now but replacing that would be huge. If you can, make sure yours shifts smoothly through second from a cold start.

Read about the transmission problems that are common with the Aisin AW55-50 in the V70 XC/XC70 of this vintage. That's the one bite-you-in-the-ass big-ticket item to be aware of.

Brett

I appreciate the info. Turns out the owner is a Volvo mechanic and it is probably the best maintained car I have ever seen. I was in absolute disbelief that a 20 year car could look almost brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by roofus7044 View Post
    Turns out the owner is a Volvo mechanic and it is probably the best maintained car I have ever seen.
    As long as the transmission has been replaced recently - you might be ok.

And if he took pride in himself and his work and the cars he drove that would be a good thing. But as a shop owner for 40 years I have seen techs drive the biggest POS, the car might be pretty - but they spend as little as possible keeping them going. Other techs go the other way and try to make the car as mechanically sound as possible.

Why is it for sale? Is there a Transmission problem he notices after driving for 1/2 hour?