Default 2012 XC70 - Sunroof Won't Close

Had difficulty finding anything on this, so thought I'd share...

This morning the sunroof wouldn't close completely, and was just slightly dipped at the back. Using the button/slider triggered a motor sound briefly, so it did not seem to be fuse-based. I did disconnect the negative battery terminal in case it was a reset issue, but no go.

Did a search online and checked the manual regarding a way to close the sunroof manually, nothing found. Here's what I eventually did:

1. Pulled down the front lighting/sunroof console. It snaps out cleanly if you pull straight down in a few places.
    2. Noticed a 4mm hex opening in the center of the Wabasto motor that is now exposed. It is tough to turn, but did turn, but ultimately did nothing.
    3. I then disconnected the power to the motor, and removed the 3 Torx-20 screws holding it in place. It then just drops out. Sure enough, the gear connecting the motor to the sunroof gearing was split in half.
    4. With the motor out, I could push on the sunroof to close it the last bit from the inside.

I did find another random post to a V40(?) where a tech described this fail, so I suppose it is somewhat common. They mentioned you can't just get the gear, so need the whole motor.

I'll post back with the part #, and how the re-install goes.

As an emergency, if the motor dies (but that gear is intact), you can manually wind the sunroof closed if you have a 4mm hex available.

[Can't post pictures for some reason.]
    Last edited by phlegm; 05-24-2021 at 07:33 AM.

good to know, thx for sharing
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Just an update. The part number for the motor is 31462798, and it includes that gear, but will cost around $400.

As an alternative, I *think* I've found the gear on ebay, package of 2 for $20:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184853290337

These listings expire, so the key details are 19 teeth, diameter (tooth-to-tooth) 16.9mm, splines 3.9mm, which pretty much matches my broken example.

May take a month or longer to arrive, so I'll post the results at that point, but certainly worth the wait. (Sunroof is closed at this point, manually.)

OK, last update for this.

The 2 gears arrived earlier today, which I found great from China, so kudos to the seller. They seem effectively identical (as far as I can measure to the original). Unfortunately, this may not be a home repair.

This is because the motor shaft/axle (which holds the gear) has a notched end. In other words, it is slightly wider than the hole in the gear, presumably to keep it on. This means you can't slide the gear on, at least I can't.

On the first gear I ever so slightly ground the gear hole wider, just so it could tightly get past the notch, however it then can be pushed off the shaft/axle. When I tried this in the sunroof it worked for a bit, then the gear worked it's way partly off, and started grinding.

On the 2nd gear (you get 2 in this package), I tried heating it up with a torch to expand it, then forcing it onto the shaft/axle. I managed to do with with some solid force, but that ultimately cracked the gear slightly. This one actually worked perfectly in the sunroof, but after a couple of cycles the gear cracked. My fault on that one too.

There may be better techniques to get the gear onto the motor, but I don't know it. Roof closed manually for now, and if we get tired of not having it, I'll try salvage or maybe shell out for new. If anyone has a better fix, plz post.

Sorry I couldn't give folks a better solution.