Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Went Limp

Absolutely go with Genuine Volvo on this part.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    If getting this part, I'd rather get it from my online part dealer,
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...volvo-30760835,
    and not from AutoZone or NAPA. The sensor comes with the pedal as a unit.
    The link I posted, gave me the wrong part number. The correct part number would be 30683516. FCPEuro website will give you XC trims but, does not recognize XC models to order something. I had to get the part number from the dealer in town. Just and FYI. Part ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    I think there is a function in VIDA where you can see the pedal position, so, your test is: watch the readout on VIDA, while stepping on the pedal. If the readout doesn’t follow what you’re doing with your foot, then you’ve found the problem.

VIDA should see limp mode, and it would be in the ECM, or TCM, I would think. But they’re green (no codes) in your screen shot.
    Would you know of any link/post/thread for such test with VIDA?
    Just got the new replacement unit I ordered and it looks like a 'plug-n-play" part, right?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Oka; 06-01-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Default Accelerator Pedal Installation

Oh my, it was a real PITA to remove the old pedal, and install the new one. The upper right bolt was covered by something like the HVAC's ridged actuator cable shielding. It took me more than thirty minutes to get it out of the way to get to the pedal's upper right bolt. The worse part was, I had to lay facing up and curved in, with my head tilted up, and still handling the tool; not easy for someone my age. I was graunting the whole time I was struggling with this stuff.

Installing the new one brought its own challenge, aligning the bolts, and in the same position, and handling the tool. My best bet was to first run the lower bolt, at least, that will kinda guide me better on how high or low any of the upper bolts should be. With installation, the pedal has to be held while handling the tool. I don't think I could have finished the installation, if I had not had this tool. At least, I pressed the trigger while I moved the pedal around for the bolt's thread to catch. Every work I have done in the cars lately, has been better with this power tool, no matter what part of the car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9806.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	9495

Almost 300 miles now, all is going well.
    Thank you everyone for all your inputs.
    Cheers

... The worse part was, I had to lay facing up and curved in, with my head tilted up, and still handling the tool; not easy for someone my age...

Cheers
    Working under the dash is equivalent to a medieval torture method. The memorable pain of a heater core o-ring replacement job motivated me to build a back-saver platform the next time I had under dash work to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails under dash back saver.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVolvo View Post
    Working under the dash is equivalent to a medieval torture method. The memorable pain of a heater core o-ring replacement job motivated me to build a back-saver platform the next time I had under dash work to do.
    My o my! My o my!!
    I am going to make one for me. I can still feel the strain on the right back side, from the contortion, when removing and installing the pedal.
    I have all the materials to build me one. That is so good. Thanks for sharing.

This afternoon, the car went limp again. Same manner, always after starting and taking off, it just goes limp. I managed to limp to a parking space, turn of the car and waited for about one minute; then started the car and drove home. Since the accelerator pedal got replaced, the next would be the throttle unit. XeMODeX has asked me to contact them if the limp thingy happens again after replacing the accelerator pedal. Will keep you all updated.

XeMODeX has asked me to contact them if the limp thingy happens again after replacing the accelerator pedal.
    I miss quoted what XeMODeX told me. I was asked to check if an error code points towards the ETM.
    Last edited by Oka; 06-28-2021 at 11:54 PM. Reason: More clarity.

So, is there an error code, and does it point to the ETM?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett San Diego View Post
    So, is there an error code, and does it point to the ETM?

Brett
    Sorry I forgot to mention the mess I made.
    During scanning, I went and hit the "Cancel" option, instead of the "Update".
    Now, I will have to continue driving until the limping happens again. I was/am still soooooo pissed with myself with that error.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12