Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fluid leaking

Quote Originally Posted by NTXC View Post
    Based on the recommendations from this forum I’ve been using Toyota IV fluid for my XC70 for nearly 50K miles now. It’s literally the same stuff rebranded, working great, and much cheaper. I picked mine up from a Toyota dealership.

I’m actually getting ready to do my next flush this weekend. If you haven’t done it before a google search for “Gibbons Method Transmission flush” is your friend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7WfY8MQc1B8
    I saw and tagged the video.
    Wondering he has an "In-Line Filter".

In my case, the fluid has been leaking for years now till I finally decided to take care of it (I was just careless), and the existing fluid is just at the tip of the stick. Since I don't have any measurement to start with, should I just drain the transmission and "flush" with the recommended OEM capacity, or what should I do? In the video, he drained and amount and refilled with the same amount; that assuming the system had recommended capacity.

Thanks for the information.
    Last edited by Oka; 05-05-2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added more information

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Toyota T-IV is a good choice. I’ve used it for awhile. I get a discount for a case.

I’ve also used AMSOIL and Valvoline import multi vehicle (not max life, the import) with success. The important thing is that the fluid meet JWS-3309, which is what this transmission needs.

Frequent fluid changes help with longevity. Highly recommend them.
    Just spoke to the Volvo dealer and he said AMSOIL is the same as the Volvo OEM fluid and is cheaper ($18.75/Qt).

An in-line filter is something you have to add yourself (I did). Personally I wouldn’t drain, just push a certain amount out (2 quarts), fill 2 quarts. Repeat until your satisfied with the color. Then reconnect your hose. From there check the level on the cold side. Get it to an adequate level. Then you can go for a drive to get the fluid hot. Once hot, top off until you’re happy with the level on the hot side.

This is basically what I did based on this forum’s guidance and a lot of YouTube research. Keep in mind the final tolerance is about 200ml so just be careful to not overfill or under fill by significant amounts. Once you’re on the dipstick it’s just a matter of dialing it in over time. I drove mine to NH from CT before I got it right where I wanted on the hot side, so it’s not something to worry excessively about, just don’t drive it with it too low.

I was scared out of my mind doing this the first time, but I was very happy with the results and once you get the hang of it, it’s really not that hard. Even easier if you have a buddy to tell you when you’re approaching the desired amount pushed out so all you have to think of is turning it off and filling her up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    Just spoke to the Volvo dealer and he said AMSOIL is the same as the Volvo OEM fluid and is cheaper ($18.75/Qt).

The Volvo fluid isn’t quite that good.

The Volvo fluid is a conventional oil based fluid made by Mobil. It’s rebadged Mobil 3309 at six times the price.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Buy this kit:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808...lvo-IPD-107945

Then buy 14 quarts of fluid.

Follow the directions on IPD’s site under that product.

Repeat every 30,000-60,000 miles.
    Current Fleet:
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Buy this kit:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808...lvo-IPD-107945

Then buy 14 quarts of fluid.

Follow the directions on IPD’s site under that product.

Repeat every 30,000-60,000 miles.
    Seconded. I bought this kit and it made everything a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    Attachment 9447
    Hello folks, what's going on here? The bolt is tight.
    Thanks
    Just an update on what started this thread. I replaced the o-ring, two days now, no leak on the ground. Yippie!

Toyota T-IV is a good choice. I’ve used it for awhile. I get a discount for a case.

I’ve also used AMSOIL and Valvoline import multi vehicle (not max life, the import) with success. The important thing is that the fluid meet JWS-3309, which is what this transmission needs.

Frequent fluid changes help with longevity. Highly recommend them.
    I have been using the Valvoline Max life (red bottles) in my cars. Should i switch to Valvoline import ( blue bottles) ?
    Any idea what's the difference between the two? I did a search to compare but i don't understand what those numbers mean?
    Forgive my ignorance and thank you in advance!

JWS-3309 is a specification for fluid. Those specifications include a bunch of things - viscosity, wear, detergents, friction modifiers, etc. The transmission was built by Aisin-Warner. They specify a JWS-3309 fluid. Toyota T-IV meets it, so does Mobil 3309, and so does the Valvoline Import multivehicle. They all have a viscosity at 100C of about 7.

Max Life is recommended for every specification that exists. Every single one. There is no way that it meets all of them, but it's recommended. Sly wording. Not approved, "recommended for." It has a viscosity of about 6. That makes it suitable for the newer, low viscosity fluid specs. I'm sure it works OK. But I don't think it's optimum.

The Max Life meets the new Toyota WS specification. A low-viscosity fluid that my Tundra, for example, requires. Toyota (who owns Aisin-Warner) is very careful to say, don't use WS fluid in a T-IV transmission. Put simply, don't use the new low viscosity stuff in older transmissions that specify the higher viscosity fluid.

The Import more closely matches the fluid that Aisin-Warner (and Volvo) specify and put in your transmission.
    Current Fleet:

JWS-3309 is a specification for fluid. Those specifications include a bunch of things - viscosity, wear, detergents, friction modifiers, etc. The transmission was built by Aisin-Warner. They specify a JWS-3309 fluid. Toyota T-IV meets it, so does Mobil 3309, and so does the Valvoline Import multivehicle. They all have a viscosity at 100C of about 7.

Max Life is recommended for every specification that exists. Every single one. There is no way that it meets all of them, but it's recommended. Sly wording. Not approved, "recommended for." It has a viscosity of about 6. That makes it suitable for the newer, low viscosity fluid specs. I'm sure it works OK. But I don't think it's optimum.

The Max Life meets the new Toyota WS specification. A low-viscosity fluid that my Tundra, for example, requires. Toyota (who owns Aisin-Warner) is very careful to say, don't use WS fluid in a T-IV transmission. Put simply, don't use the new low viscosity stuff in older transmissions that specify the higher viscosity fluid.

The Import more closely matches the fluid that Aisin-Warner (and Volvo) specify and put in your transmission.
    Astro,
    Thank you for all the info and explanation you provided, as always much appreciate it!
    I will go ahead and switch to Valvoline Import.
    Thanks again!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast