Default P2108 Throttle Actuator Control Module error

Ugh, I was about to post about how this car has been generally pretty trouble free for almost 18 years since I bought it. Then today, I drove into a parking lot off of a main road, and the engine started bucking and sputtering and a warning "Reduced Engine Performance" and warning triangle came on. I shut the car, off, restarted it and it was fine. It ran fine for a mile, and the same thing happened, but I got a CEL P2108, which is a Throttle Actuator Control Module. I stopped/started the car, cleared the code (I have an bluetooth OBD module that happened to be in the car at the time), and it was fine again, until I got home, and it freaked an didn't want to drive up my driveway.

I can only assume my actuator has failed. There's a pretty good youtube about how to install a new one on a 2.5T, Volvo P/N 30711554. On the video, you can see "made in Germany" on the Volvo box. So you can buy the Volvo unit, or FCPeuro sells a Bosch. I gotta believe the Bosch is OEM. FCP says, "NOTE: Will NOT require a software reload." But IPD says, "Please note this is a "virgin" throttle body module that is not loaded with software. You'll need to have your local Volvo dealer (or independent mechanic with a current VIDA subscription) load software for your specific Volvo.

So, what, if you buy one from these guys, and install it in your garage, your car won't work, you can't even get it to the dealer for the programming? I can see where that Bosch may be generic for multiple cars, would the Volvo come programmed? Anyone have any experience with this? That video, with the Volvo OEM part, says the 2005 didn't need programing (I have a 2004, close enough?) I will call the dealer, but I know I will get one of their high school kid service advisors whose only answer is bring it in.

Thanks. Oof.
    Last edited by gibbons; 04-14-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

More info... I found some alternative view pics of the Volvo 30711554 (about $550), they clearly say "Bosch 0280750131" on them. Looking at that part number (about $300), the pic of the Bosch looks exactly the same, same font and graphic placement, just missing the Volvo logo and part number. I haven't removed my old one yet, but I'm guessing it will also say Bosch, Duh. Like when I found the GKN sticker on my original axles, and bought new GKNs for 1/3 the price of refurbed Volvo OEM.

Soooo.... Looking at amazon stuff, they even have $60 replacements. In the reviews of the cheapos, no one mentions reprogramming. Except one guy says to turn the key to on without starting, wait 2 minutes while the system thinks things through, turn it off, then start it and it works great. I found on another forum a post from an apparently pretty smart guy who said that the car uses an Electronic Throttle Actuator (ETA), not an Electronic Throttle Module (ETM), so it doesn't require programming. I really don't want to brick my car in the garage!

It's so weird that it failed instantly, most folks say they felt issues coming on.

That Chevelle in my profile pic has a Holley 4150 double pump carb, I'm pretty good at carb tuning and diagnosis. I'm about to switch to a Holley fuel injection system. I'm quite apprehensive, if that fails on the road, I will have no idea what's wrong.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

I've done just one throttle body, in my three Volvos, and I simply went through Xemodex. Pure plug and play. No issues. A few more dollars, but worth it, when you're worried about programming.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Hi Astro, by, "I simply went through Xemodex" mean?, I assume you mean the throttle modules on this webpage ?

I ordered the Bosch from Amazon for $256, they say, "Plug & Play — No flash update needed", and reviewer say they didn't have problems. If it doesn't work, Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy. And then get a Xemodex. I'm pretty sure my single Volvo dealer in the whole state would want $1000 to integrate the Bosch. Thanks for replying.

The guy on youtube does them in about 12 minutes I'm figuring about 10 hours and a box of band-aids.

Basically...of the options, I ordered the rebuild of my unit. Sent it to them. Had it back in three days. Cost about $500.

Lot more than you’re spending. But a lot easier, too. I’m not good enough with electronics, and programming with VIDA, to tackle what you’re doing.

“A man’s got to know his limitations” - Harry Callahan
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Closing this one out. I bought the Bosch throttle body (same part number as is on the Volvo OEM part) from Amazon for $260. I installed it as is and it works perfectly. Plug/play.

I cut the failed unit apart with a dremel tool to take a peek inside. Inside there's only a stepper motor, some gears between it and the throttle air blade, and a slip ring for power and positioning sensing. There is NO processor or smarts that would have software or firmware that the ECM would be looking for. It's absolutely plug/play, no programming. Well, about 6 hours worth of "plugging", and then play.

The plastic teeth on the old one were chewed off in one spot, wear and tear from 196K miles I guess. But that chewing happened all at once, putting the car in reduced performance 20mph mode. That would have been a disaster had I been far from home.

Oh, yeah, if you have to do one of these, jack the front of the car off so you can access the bolts from underneath. MUCH easier.