Default swapping engines

Hi Gang.
    I just bought a 2006 XC with a bad engine --antifreeze in the oil. Very clean car with new studded winter tires and new battery for $1000-
    I have a 850 with good compression . The 850 has an manual transmission and the 2006 has the automatic.
    Looking at both engines I see a lot of differences but Wonder if I can put the parts from the '06 on the 850 engine.
    Another question
    do the engines come out of the top or bottom- with the transmission
    thanks
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Da Tow'd View Post
    if I can put the parts from the '06 on the 850 engine.

do the engines come out of the top or bottom- with the transmission
    What parts? Are you trying to fix the xc - with the 850 engine or turbocharge the 850 or what? The xc has variable cam timing, 850 not - You could call someone like Voluparts.com in Atlanta 404-352-3402 Bill might know if a 850 engine could be modified to work - with a xc head. Is your 850 a turbo?

Engine comes easiest out of the bottom on the subframe with the transmission attached.

And anitfreeze in the oil is very unusual for a Volvo - they simply do not fail that way (unless it threw a rod and destroyed the block) In what way is the engine "bad"?
    Last edited by hoonk; 02-21-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Howdy Hoonk

the 850 has a turbo
    the '06 was showing no antifreeze in the tank and dip stick showed way over full and the oil filter cap had lots of white "mouse milk"
    I was thinking about swapping intake manifolds and distributor and swapping the flywheel with the flex plate
    I have access to a hoist -and will start looking on line for tips on dropping the engine / transmissions

thanks for the reply
    Hank

Drain the engine oil - the water will sink to the bottom - if a bunch of water comes out first-that's a bad thing. I've seen Oil cap mouse milk thousands of times - that comes from short trips, where the normal condensation does not get hot enough to evaporate - and infrequent oil changes. As I said water in the oil in not a normal failure on a Volvo.

"I was thinking about swapping intake manifolds and distributor and swapping the flywheel with the flex plate" into which car are your going to fix/resurrect?

"Distributor" your xc90 does not have a distributor - 1998 and earlier 850s do.

If your intent is to out the 850 engine in the XC, I wouldn’t. Too many differences, even though the blocks are similar.

Find a decent 2003-2006 used LP turbo engine on eBay. It’s a question of what the engine management is programmed to work with, dual VVT, max turbo boost, etc. Your XC ECM isn’t going to work right with a NA or HP turbo engine, or even an LP engine from outside those years, unless it gets a custom performance map.

Which would cost more than the eBay engine in the first place.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks for your thoughts guys
    but a change in plans due to the big wind storm we had this weekend caused a broken branch to smash the front windshield.
    Yes when I drained the oil antifreeze/oil mix came out.
    Lots of good part that will match my wife's '04 XC
    I'm going to drop the running gear just for the pleasure of doing it
    cheers
    Hank