Default 2006 XC70 parts compatibility

Hi I just bought a 2006 XC70 and want to replace the headlight assemblies. What are compatible years for this model? For example, will headlights from other years fit in my car? What about side view mirror assemblies? Thanks in advance.

The 2001-2007 XC70s are often referred to as pre-facelift and post-facelift due to a redesign taking place during the model year 2004(?). For your 2006, that means some parts are compatible from the early years and some aren't. With headlights, you want some from 2005+ for instant changeability. The early models had glass lens (which don't fog!) and yours are plastic. Some have put the glass in their newer models but it does require some modifications to wiring. The EXACT specific procedure I've yet to see posted anywhere! You do have the option of sanding your plastic lenses if they're foggy. Lots of info on youtube and the internet for this process.

I also don't believe the sideview mirrors can be directly interchanged between pre- and post-facelift because the later models have turn signal flashers in them. Maybe other members have more info.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    The 2001-2007 XC70s are often referred to as pre-facelift and post-facelift due to a redesign taking place during the model year 2004(?). For your 2006, that means some parts are compatible from the early years and some aren't. With headlights, you want some from 2005+ for instant changeability. The early models had glass lens (which don't fog!) and yours are plastic. Some have put the glass in their newer models but it does require some modifications to wiring. The EXACT specific procedure I've yet to see posted anywhere! You do have the option of sanding your plastic lenses if they're foggy. Lots of info on youtube and the internet for this process.

I also don't believe the sideview mirrors can be directly interchanged between pre- and post-facelift because the later models have turn signal flashers in them. Maybe other members have more info.
    Side mirrors from 2003/4 - 2007 are interchangeable, I believe.

You have the options of anything between the 2001-2007 V70/XC70, and the same years (and possibly a year later) S60.
    2001-2004 had the Cibie TSR (I think was the model) lights designed for the Volvo, and while the glass doesn't fade, the reflectors might be aged/poor condition (if you get used).
    2005-2007 (and 2008 S60?) V70 had plastic headlamps that are kind of ****ty. They fade and have to be replaced (polishing doesn't work).

For the best performance, get a set of European headlamps for your year car and you can use better H7 bulbs for your low beams. When I got mine, they were about $800 shipped, which was about what the US OEM ones were too.

You could get the glass headlamps too, but then you'll need the harness adapters (which I seem to think were around $40) from your facelift car to the pre-facelift headlamp.

If you're flush with cash, pick up the ABLs. While the bending function won't work in a car not designed for it, you'll get pretty decent projector HIDs at least. Last time I checked, they were around $1400 EACH. Maybe cheaper now, but that was a little too salty for me, when my car was only $7000.

For teh mirrors, I'm not sure when the wiring changed, but the pre-facelift mirror housings were a little deeper so you could use the wide-angle mirror better. If you wanted to get the 2007 assemblies with the signals in them, I think there was some wiring that became backwards, so you'd have to swap wires in the connector or whatnot.