Default Aftermarket radio install in 2002 V70XC

Hey everyone

I'm about to install an aftermarket stereo in my car, but just wanted to check to make sure I'm not going to have a problem. I don't believe that my year the radio was tied into the CAN bus, at least it doesn't have the fiber optics connector, but my mechanic thinks if I remove the radio then "the check engine light will come on and you won't be able to do updates".

Is this true? Do I have to tuck the headunit up under the dash like I had to do when I owned a XC90 with the fiber optic system?

My vehicle has the HU-803, so I know that I need to take the preamp outputs from my radio and send them to the amp under the seat, and that I'll need an adapter for steering wheel controls. I was thinking about using this kit: https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...249SWRVL54.PDF

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sovamind View Post
    I don't believe that my year the radio was tied into the CAN bus, at least it doesn't have the fiber optics connector,

"the check engine light will come on and you won't be able to do updates".
    Your radio is part on the CAN bus - but that's just to get the tuner to talk to the steering wheel controls.

The check engine light ONLY comes on for Emission related stuff. If your gas cap is loose, your coolant is too cold or hot, o2 sensor readings are out of wack, running on 4 cylinders, etc. - stuff that makes you pollute. Granted loud obnoxious music where the tag bracket is rattling from the subwoofer in the trunk is noise pollution - but the EPA has no regulations on that.

VIDA will still be able to talk to all the other modules installed if needed. When was the last time you had a software update? Maybe when the transmission was replaced.

I used that adapter (the SWRVL-54) and it worked great. Nice to be able to fast forward songs / podcasts from the wheel and adjust volume, esp when playing from the iphone. CA issues tickets just for touching the phone (yes, I know first hand! And I was at a red light in traffic too in LA when he ticketed me for "touching the phone screen for more than a swipe". Fought it though, and won.)

Do note that you will lose your parking sensors. They are integrated into the factory receiver and there isn't a fix that I know of.