Default Tail Pipe fell off - anyone know OD size?

Muffler is in decent shape, but the tail pipe fell off at the joint, where they rust. So, does anyone know the outside diameter? The rot makes it look larger than the original OD, so I'm trying to figure out how much I am missing of the metal. I'm trying to get it all back on the road to use for winter, and then probably sell next year. If I can weld a piece on, I will or have someone else do it. The trick is to get it inspected again, but can't do that until this is fixed.
    Last edited by sanfelice; 11-15-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Mine rusted off, too. I wanted a reasonable and permanent solution that I could do myself. Since the tail pipe hangs via a support, and helps hold up the muffler, any repair needs to be fairly solid.
    I decided that the best solution was to replace the muffler.
    I bought a new one from UPSW for $172 including tax and shipping. Then, I cut the old one off using a Sawzall and attached the new one with a clamp that came with it. My car is a 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickDriver View Post
    Mine rusted off, too. I wanted a reasonable and permanent solution that I could do myself. Since the tail pipe hangs via a support, and helps hold up the muffler, any repair needs to be fairly solid.
    I decided that the best solution was to replace the muffler.
    I bought a new one from UPSW for $172 including tax and shipping. Then, I cut the old one off using a Sawzall and attached the new one with a clamp that came with it. My car is a 2007.
    thanks, that is certainly an option. If I take it to a shop, it will cost probably half that just to weld a pipe in the remaining opening.

If there is a junkyard you can go to, I would try to get the tailpipe there. Then take it to a muffler shop for the welding on/rubber hanger.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

In California, perhaps, you can find an exhaust system that isn’t completely rusted out, but Massachusetts is another matter...

If it’s the pipe that comes off the rear muffler, I would get a new rear muffler. Quick swap. Not hard. Not cheap, but Volvo parts rarely are.

That said, I am Surprised it rusted so badly that it fell off. Volvo exhausts are very durable. Maybe it’s time for that cat back hi flow you were looking for?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

My 02 had the tailpipe rust off, the muffler was perfect with no rust, just rusted at the weld that the tailpipe joined the muffler, I went to AutoZone and picked up a exhaust section that closely matched the tailpipe albeit slightly larger diameter, removed the muffler and prepped it and welded the the new section on, along with the bar stock hanger that i removed from the old tailpipe. Total cost to repair was about $8 and about 2 hours, easy.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 11-17-2020 at 08:33 AM.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    My 02 had the tailpipe rust off, the muffler was perfect with no rust, just rusted at the weld that the tailpipe joined the muffler, I went to AutoZone and picked up a exhaust section that closely matched the tailpipe albeit slightly larger diameter, removed the muffler and prepped it and welded the the new section on, along with the bar stock hanger that i removed from the old tailpipe. Total cost to repair was about $8 and about 2 hours, easy.
    If you have a welding set up, sure, it’s easy and cheap. But not everyone on the forum is able to weld...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

A cheap $99 HF fluxcore wire feed will do the job for less than paying a shop and now you have a weld machine and a repaired tailpipe for less than the price of a new rear silencer, or you have a friend with a welding machine, either way it is a workable repair.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    A cheap $99 HF fluxcore wire feed will do the job for less...
    Perfect is enemy of good^.

Alternatively, adapters/couplings from auto shops to assemble a simple solutions would last years. Applying a high temp sealer makes the coupling style repair free of exhaust leak.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Xheart View Post
    Perfect is enemy of good
    Ah, a little Voltaire to make a point.