Default Steam from Vents

Has anyone seen steam from internal vents when the engine is getting hot?

Happened when towing but only when going up hill and engine coolant temp went up.

See video ..
    https://youtu.be/vN2aXtwjuCU
    --------------------------------
    Current: 2008 XC70 D5
    Previous Volvos: 140, 240s, 440s, S40, V70s

Was it steam (hot vapor) or condensation (cold)? I think you would have smelled antifreeze if there were coolant leak. Check your coolant reservoir level -- are you losing coolant?

109C is very close to the coolant boiling temp. Something is amiss in your cooling system. The engine wants to run at about 88-90C (gasoline engine). Diesel should be lower than 88C.

I would inspect the radiator front surface for blocked airflow from stone craters and bugs. You need ideal airflow for pulling that load. It's possible your thermostat is not opening up all the way and needs replacing. When idling, does your radiator fan swing into high gear? (fan or fan control unit)

Do you shut off the AC while pulling the trailer uphill? Or, pulling the trailer in weather > 35C?

I would start keeping a log of coolant temp. during different driving conditions. What is your baseline temp. in fine weather / no trailer load / AC off? What conditions send it rising?

The engine's lifespan is shortened running well over the nominal temp -- the parts tolerances go askew and the oil loses needed viscosity. Also coil packs known to fail due to exceeding normal engine temperature.
    Last edited by pbierre; 11-17-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Vapour was hot and had sweet smell.

Normal operation is fine, runs at approx 89 degrees C.
    Car cooled down quickly once the load of the hill was over and went back to flat / downhill.

I don't think there are any general cooling system issues.
    We had a day of 38 C / 100F last week and car still ran at 90 C

Just out of interest, why would a diesel run any lower than a petrol engine?

Regards,
    David
    --------------------------------
    Current: 2008 XC70 D5
    Previous Volvos: 140, 240s, 440s, S40, V70s

Quote Originally Posted by netpres1 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Vapour was hot and had sweet smell.

Normal operation is fine, runs at approx 89 degrees C.
    Car cooled down quickly once the load of the hill was over and went back to flat / downhill.

I don't think there are any general cooling system issues.
    We had a day of 38 C / 100F last week and car still ran at 90 C

Just out of interest, why would a diesel run any lower than a petrol engine?

Regards,
    David
    Based on the hot/sweet smell, you likely had a boilover. There is a pressure release valve (I think built-into coolant reservoir cap) which would have gassed off to prevent hose rupture.
    The steam filled the engine compartment and some entered the vent into the passenger cabin -- would be my guess.

One tactic you can do on hill climbs is crank down windows and turn on max. cabin heat. That will shed some additional engine heat.

About the diesel, I had read somewhere that the temperature is much higher inside the cylinder (higher pressure), and lower outside , as compared to a petrol engine.
    If you search thermostats fitted to your D5, the temperature rating will give you the nominal coolant temp. At least you now know the boilover temp is around 106C. G'day.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan