Default Massive Motor oil leak Front Passanger Side: Seeking assistance

Greetings everyone,

My 2002 Volvo XC70 with 241k (tbelt and WP and idlers) replaced at 239k has experienced a massive leak. It appears all of the engine oil leaks out.. I experienced a dashboard indicated reduced oil pressure warning, followed by an indication of zero oil pressure...Upon, which I shut the engine off. Fortunately, I did not hear any audible clacking from the engine. I use two quarts of Liqui Molly MOS2 at oil changes for such events...We'll find out if it works.

I removed part of the timing belt cover and see oil on the timing belt, I have the following parts on order for replacement:

* Front Cam Seal VVT Quantity #1( part number: 9458309)
    *VVT Rubber o-ring Seal ( Aftermarket vender in Europe)
    * Rear cam seals #3 Quantity (Part number: 9443310)
    * Front Crankshaft Seal (Part number: 9458178)
    * Timing Belt-Continental
    *Oil pump seal kit (274260)

Anything I should replace while I have the mechanic attention in the area...Such as the front oil seal??

Thanks

Who is doing the work?

What is a “front oil seal”?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

The rubber oil pan o-ring seals can and do fail, under pressure will produce a larger leak than the not under pressure crank seal could.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Might be an idea to confirm what was actually leaking and why. Perhaps a crankcase vent system that is not venting and blowing out seals.

I was trying to clarify the problem here...

If a cam seal is blown out, and I suspect that's the problem, then, yes, it's usually from a failed PCV system.

So, I would recommend the following:

1. Replace intake cam, exhaust cam, crankshaft front seals.
    2. Because of mileage/age, replace oil pump seal.
    3. Replace timing belt (oil soaked belt is no good).
    4. Drop oil pan to clean PCV passages, do o-rings while in there.
    5. Replace all PCV components with new parts.

To replace the cam seals, you will need to remove the engine mount and other parts on the driver's side of the engine and lock the cams in place with a cam locking tool. That makes that job time consuming. It's an all day job the first time you do it. You'll need a cam seal for the intake cam back (driver's side) as well. It's a plug. You can't reuse the old plug.

To do the PCV system components, you need to remove the intake manifold, which makes it a pretty long job. About six hours your first time. You MUST replace all of the PCV components, they can't be cleaned out, in order to restore proper crankcase pressure and prevent another seal failure.

The oil sump removal is straightforward, but you must clean the sump and block carefully - NO abrasives, just scrape with a plastic blade and use solvent. Don't damage the surfaces. You'll need anaerobic sealant to put it back. No substitutes. Volvo sealant works well (I've done this job on all three cars, no leaks), and Permatex makes a sealant. RTV is incorrect and will leak. Replace the oil pump o-rings while it's off. A gasket set will include those, and oil cooler o-rings, and the turbo drain line seal.

I've listed some major work, I realize, but you're going to have to do this right to rectify both the seal failure and the underlying condition that caused it.

Finally, still scratching my head on the "front oil seal"...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default dump l'oil

Quote Originally Posted by Iroll_ View Post
    Greetings everyone,

My 2002 Volvo XC70 with 241k (tbelt and WP and idlers) replaced at 239k has experienced a massive leak. It appears all of the engine oil leaks out.. I experienced a dashboard indicated reduced oil pressure warning, followed by an indication of zero oil pressure...Upon, which I shut the engine off. Fortunately, I did not hear any audible clacking from the engine. I use two quarts of Liqui Molly MOS2 at oil changes for such events...We'll find out if it works.

I removed part of the timing belt cover and see oil on the timing belt, I have the following parts on order for replacement:

* Front Cam Seal VVT Quantity #1( part number: 9458309)
    *VVT Rubber o-ring Seal ( Aftermarket vender in Europe)
    * Rear cam seals #3 Quantity (Part number: 9443310)
    * Front Crankshaft Seal (Part number: 9458178)
    * Timing Belt-Continental
    *Oil pump seal kit (274260)

Anything I should replace while I have the mechanic attention in the area...Such as the front oil seal??

Thanks
    My car did this (about 170 K miles) it turned out to be the VVT gear. The center cam can leak. Because it is spinning it throws oil around and looks like a seal leak... but it's not... See https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/b...l-leak.500666/ for perspective on this.

Albertj

Thank's for the replies, everyone. My mechanic replaced the aforementioned parts and the car no longer leaks oil.
    The engine also appears to fine despite running out of oil.