Default How to test AWD sustem

I was out today in the first snow of the year and couldn't get up a moderate hill with snow on the road. I have made it up before so something is wrong. I put the car on a packed snow part of the road and had a friend watch the wheels while I deliberately accelerated to loose traction. Both tires, front and rear, on each side spun.

Is there a better way to test the AWD system? I want to make sure it is working before investing in a new set of tires.

Thanks for your help.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Not sure if you have VIDA/Dice but some AWD system failures will show up when you check for codes. Speaking from my own experience, non-working DEM due to a faulty pump or pressure/temp sensor should throw an appropriate code (maybe DEM-006 or DEM-007?). Sorry, but I can't remember if my faulty DEM lit up the CEL on the dash.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Yes. To test the AWD, you want to park:
    front wheels on a slippery surface (ice, wet leaves, or 2 layers of wetted or frozen-soaked cardboard)
    rear wheels on dry surface with good traction

Press accelerator pedal, being prepared for car to take off forward under rear-wheel power.

If the car just spins the front wheels without taking off forward, that would indicate the AWD is not functioning.

The test your friend observed with fronts and rears both spinning on slippery surface is encouraging it will pass the above rigorous test. If the AWD were completely shot, he would have observed the rear wheels not rotating at all while the fronts were slipping.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan