Default Jacking up the rear via tow hitch?

My XC has an aftermarket tow hitch from Curt, and I was curious if it would cause any damage to jack up the rear from the tow hitch. It seems like it would be more effective than jacking up one side at a time to get both rear wheels off the ground. I know on some other cars it is recommended to do it this way, but I want to make sure it's not gonna break something on my car.

Sounds risky. The safest and most efficient lift point is the rear-wheel truss adjacent to the wheel -- if you lift the fixed frame, the wheel will spring down and you have to jack the frame high-up to get the wheel off the ground. The wheel truss is designed to carry 100% of the weight above it. I don't think that's true of a tow hitch, and anyway, it's attached to the body which is not an efficient lift point.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

I would check the owners manual. The instructions for jacking is there. I have a Curt hitch too but I would not attempt that.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend

Quote Originally Posted by Voldog View Post
    I would check the owners manual. The instructions for jacking is there. I have a Curt hitch too but I would not attempt that.
    For a safety-minded company, the scissors car jack "system" provided for tire changes is IMHO a serious problem. First, as a midpoint lift point, the jack is lifting 1/2 the weight of the car instead of 1/4 needed to change a tire. Second, if the jack is misaligned under the lift point, a scissors jack can sheer sideways and collapse. On the jack removal, I've had this scissors jack "spit" out, almost ripping my arm off. I would only use it in an emergency on level ground, and monitoring the jack shape continuously for sideways warp. If the lead-screw gets hard to crank, something is wrong -- let her down, shift the jack foot, and try again.

In the garage, I use a hydraulic jack lifting one wheel at a time, and jack stands.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    For a safety-minded company, the scissors car jack "system" provided for tire changes is IMHO a serious problem. First, as a midpoint lift point, the jack is lifting 1/2 the weight of the car instead of 1/4 needed to change a tire. Second, if the jack is misaligned under the lift point, a scissors jack can sheer sideways and collapse. On the jack removal, I've had this scissors jack "spit" out, almost ripping my arm off. I would only use it in an emergency on level ground, and monitoring the jack shape continuously for sideways warp. If the lead-screw gets hard to crank, something is wrong -- let her down, shift the jack foot, and try again.

In the garage, I use a hydraulic jack lifting one wheel at a time, and jack stands.
    I hate scissor jacks and avoid using if I can help it. They are not stable. I too have floor jacks in my garage. Plus I supplement with jack stands especially if I think the work will take long.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend