Default Freezeout plug on 2003 rear Haldex

Hi group,

Here's an odd one for my 2003 XC70 with 187,000 miles. The freezeout plug on the front of the rear Haldex is leaking. Fortunately I noticed the leaking fluid and filled it back up with GL-5. I'm a bit leery to drive it far incase the crusty plug lets loose.

No where can a Volvo dealer find a part number to replace it. I was hoping someone in this group might have an idea other than replacing the differential.

Regards !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003volvoLeakingHaldex1.jpg  

I don't think GL-5 is correct fill for the haldex, i used volvo haldex fluid, but let us know how it holds up,
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Either fluid works in the rear differential Haldex.

My post is about the freezeout plug that is leaking the fluid. I need to replace it because it's rusted out. Wondering if anyone has seen this condition. It mics out to a 2.5 inch freezeout. Spoke with several Volvo mechanics at private shops and dealers with no success for the correct replacement part number. One dealer contacted Volvo manufacturing and said that plug is installed when making the Haldex and not dealer replaceable. It's a freaking freezeout plug !

Any knowledge with it is appreciated

Here's a couple of freeze plug catalog pages

http://www.a1autoparts.biz/pdfs/Cata...Sec8_Part1.pdf

Thank you. Will let you folks know how I make out.

Quote Originally Posted by DJKLOEP View Post
    Either fluid works in the rear differential Haldex.

My post is about the freezeout plug that is leaking the fluid. I need to replace it because it's rusted out. Wondering if anyone has seen this condition. It mics out to a 2.5 inch freezeout. Spoke with several Volvo mechanics at private shops and dealers with no success for the correct replacement part number. One dealer contacted Volvo manufacturing and said that plug is installed when making the Haldex and not dealer replaceable. It's a freaking freezeout plug !

Any knowledge with it is appreciated
    Interesting that you found that GL-5 is an equivalent substitute fluid for the Haldex AOC (Active On-Demand Coupling) Gear Oil for AWD automatic clutch system, knew that the separate rear differential does accept GL-5 as a lubricant though, good to know you found that the expensive Haldex fluid is unnecessary. Owners will find the cost saving when servicing the Haldex helpful,
    Last edited by AKAMick; 10-22-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),