Default Abs/anti-skid + brake assist service required + dstc spin control off

About a month ago, I had the car (2007XC, with approximately 260000kms) pretty loaded down, with bikes hanging off the back. We stopped for lunch, and I got tire pressure warning. I pulled over at the next station, checked all the tires, and the pressure was fine. Started the car up again, and got a combination of messages:

ABS/ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED
    BRAKE ASSIST SERVICE REQUIRED
    DSTC SPIN CONTROL OFF

Over the last month, these messages have stayed pretty constantly, and the tire pressure messages have come and gone.

Not sure if this is related, but yesterday, I pull a three-point turn, the above-mentioned messages disappear (temporarily... they have since come back...) and now I feel what is best described as a "friction" in my steering, and a strange whirring when I step on the gas. But this is intermittent also... seems to last five minutes, then goes away, then comes back...

This car has had a great life, and we have enjoyed it thoroughly. We are at the point where putting money into it is painful. I'm going to my garage on Monday, but just wondering what the above sounds like to the experts in this group, and what kind of $$$ I might be looking at...

Cheers.

Hi Chinapat,

One possibility may be the "clock spring", AKA "contact reel." This is a steering angle sensor in the steering wheel. It goes bad and causes at least an anti-skid message and a DSTC message, at least mine did. If I recall, it was fairly easy to replace, but the part itself is about 350USD. Your shop can read the codes to get a better idea of what might be causing these messages. I'd recommend further diag, since the part is quite expensive.