Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Cooler

I recently bought a popup camper with a dry weight of 1900lbs, loaded it is around 2400lbs. The tow vehicle is my 2006 XC70. So far we've been on two trips and I've been monitoring the transmission temperature using an inexpensive OBDII scanner that connects to my Android phone via bluetooth. Transmission temps without the camper are usually between 188 and 194 F. With the camper, on flat highway, they've been about 10 degrees higher, always exactly mirroring the coolant temperature. When climbing longer, steeper hills the temp reached 220 before I turned on the heater in the car, which immediately dropped the temp back to 210-215. While none of these temps are excessively high, I decided to install an auxiliary transmission cooler. The trans cooler installation is spliced into the return line from the top of the radiator. Not wanting to over cool the the transmission fluid during the winter months when not towing, I went with a small unit. However, after installing, I see no difference in transmission temp on my OBD scanner. Granted, I've only gone for one short drive without the camper, but the transmission temp still reads ~190 and still exactly mirrors the coolant temperature as well. As I said, I was wary of over cooling, however, I was hoping to see some kind of drop in temperature between the transmission fluid and the engine coolant. Is this cooler actually doing nothing, or is this a fault of the cheap OBD scanner I'm using not reading the transmission temp correctly? Does VIDA read transmission temps differently than a generic OBD scanner?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200816_192806606.jpg   IMG_20200816_204901561.jpg  

The transmission temperature sensor is in the valve body. VIDA and OBDII scanners get it from there. It's going to be the same, either way...

I've done coolers on all three of my P2 Volvos. You spliced this in where I did - the return line from the radiator. I think the issue is the small size of the cooler.

Also, those tube and fin coolers are only modestly effective. A stacked plate cooler is much more effective.

Please take a look at this thread: https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...sh-From-Bottom

I went with this set-up:

Derale 13011 Fluid Control Thermostat Kit
    Derale 25750 Remote Filter Mount Kit
    B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

Had to use about 5 feet of hose to complete the routing. Fluid goes from Trans to radiator to return line/spliced to filter. Filter to thermostat. From thermostat to both cooler and return line into trans pan.

So, as fluid flows out, it gets warmed/cooled by coolant, then goes through filter. Above 80C, it goes to B&M cooler. Below that, the filtered fluid goes back to the transmission. I used a K&N filter, a big one, but don't remember which size. The Derale filter mount fits a wide variety of filters.

The pictures in that thread are on my daughter's 2002 V70T5. Same exact mounting will work on your XC. I did the same exact (parts and routing) set-up on my son's 2001 V70T5. Both cars have been through Vermont winters, Colorado winters, Virginia summers, mountain driving, city commutes. They're holding up well.

Full disclosure - I never bothered to read the before and after transmission temps. That same cooler made a big difference in the transmission temp of my 1990 Toyota 4 Runner, in which I had installed an actual gauge, so I know it's effective at removing lots of heat. That's why I plumbed in the thermostat, so that it doesn't over-cool in the winter. My Tundra has a transmission oil cooler with thermostat. Seems like a good way to do business. The Tundra thermostat opens at 160F, I believe, and the only thermostat I could find at the time, the one listed above, opens at 180F.

I've since discovered that 160F oil cooler thermostats available, but they're pricey...

To do all that mounting, etc. I had to remove the front bumper cover. A bit daunting the first time you do it...a quick job once you've done it a few times, and it's not hard. I've got even more detailed pics of the 2001 V70 install if that helps. Also, if I were doing it now, I would use nut rivets instead of pop rivets and nuts/bolts, way faster, more secure, and easier to disassemble in the future. I just bought a nut rivet tool for another car project and am wishing I had it years ago...

Finally - I am a big fan of Oetiker clamps. You'll need a bunch, like 10-12 (can't remember) for the set-up I did, and worm-style hose clamps are a pain, and they often loosen over time. Oetiker clamps are quick and secure.

Cheers,
    Astro
    Last edited by Astro14; 08-17-2020 at 05:54 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks for the reply and info. Great looking install you've got there. I guess I'll go ahead and order a larger cooler and see how it affects the temps. I'll monitor temps as the weather gets colder and can always add a thermostat later if necessary. A couple other questions if you don't mind me picking your brain: 1. What temperature would be considered too cold for the transmission? 2. I already have an inline magnafine filter, is the K&N filter and mount worth the extra hassle? 3. Those Oetiker clamps in your post look the same as the clamps for PEX plumbing fittings; are they the same thing?

I guess I would want the transmission to run about 150-180. Warm enough to keep condensation down, but cool enough to prevent wear and oxidation of the fluid... That’s a total guess, by the way...they obviously run warmer by design.

A Magnefine is pretty good, and I like the magnet. I just figured I would make changing the filter easier. Transmission fluid tends to stay pretty clean (no combustion products) so I think you’re OK as is. I worry a bit about pressure drop across an oil filter, so, I went big to minimize that. The Magnefine is advertised for transmissions, so I don’t reckon the pressure drop is an issue.

I’ve not worked with PEX, though I owned a house with PEX (Wirsbo, in fact). They look similar. I couldn’t tell you for certain. I bought the Oetiker kit on Amazon, and then a bunch more clamps for that size. Can’t remember which size, and the Oetiker set is in my shop, not at the house. I’ll have to look later for the exact size...
    Current Fleet:
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

https://oetiker.com/pexgripsite

Looks like those clamps are the same thing, just different sizes. Especially since I already have the crimping tool from replumbing the house, a few bucks for a bag of different size rings sounds like a good upgrade from the worm style ones. Never thought to use the crimp rings on automotive hoses, so thanks for the tip!

So, I upgraded my transmission cooler to a Hayden 679 plate and fin cooler, which is rated for motorhomes towing up to 10,000lbs.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000C3BB..._U0EqFbVD3WYGN

However, I'm still not getting any significant temperature differential between the engine and transmission temp. I can definitely feel a temperature difference between the input hose and the output hose of the cooler, but the temp reading for both the engine and transmission still read at ~190° f. Occasionally there would be a couple degree differences between the two readings on the OBD scanner, but it would only last a moment.

Can anyone who has installed a transmission cooler confirm that they're getting a significant drop in the obd/dice transmission temp reading? Is it possible that the reading from the valve body on the transmission will always mirror the engine temp, regardless of transmission fluid temp, just because of the shared metal to metal surface contact between the engine and transmission reaching an equilibrium temperature between the two?
    Last edited by K_G_1; 08-22-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Any thoughts or ideas about what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by K_G_1 View Post
    Any thoughts or ideas about what's going on?
    Ya’ got me.... that looks like a good cooler. I would think it would make a difference.
    Current Fleet:

I installed large ATF coolers on both my XC's though i never checked the temps through VIDA, i just used a infrared temp gun on the cooling lines themselves, Didn't care too much about over cooling as no one has ever said their transmission failed from being too cold, many fail from overheating though, in the dead cold of a Maine winter after warmup the cooling lines never fell below 150F, still the temps never topped 190F in normal summer driving, though checking the temps in stop and go summer traffic was not possible with a Temp gun.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    I installed large ATF coolers on both my XC's though i never checked the temps through VIDA, i just used a infrared temp gun on the cooling lines themselves, Didn't care too much about over cooling as no one has ever said their transmission failed from being too cold, many fail from overheating though, in the dead cold of a Maine winter after warmup the cooling lines never fell below 150F, still the temps never topped 190F in normal summer driving, though checking the temps in stop and go summer traffic was not possible with a Temp gun.
    I installed a truck cooler on mine, did the same thing with a laser thermometer. Definitely a difference, never checked temps in VIDA.

To the original poster, I think physics itself dictates a temperature drop with your new setup (unless something is plumbed wrong, but I think you’d be aware of that by now), I have no explanation for VIDA, but I also have no idea where in the system the temp sensor is either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast