Default Tips for locating a whirring type noise...Differential or bevel gear?

Hi everyone,

I am having a terrible problem locating a whirring type noise from what sounds like the middle of the car. I have replaced the wheel bearings and prop shaft....No luck. I thought the whirring type noise was the carrier bearing from the prop shaft, but I was incorrect. My AWD works and it's a 2002 with 241k.

The noise starts at 20mph and does not go away...Any tips on how to go about diagnosing the potential problem components? The noise appears to disapate on parts of the freeway that are down hill left-handed sweepers...If I swerve to the right quickly during such sweepers, the noise dissipates. The noise is so loud that it's difficult to have a conversation in the car.

Thanks for your help!

You need to get the car on a hoist with someone in it to "drive" it, while someone is underneath listening for where the noise is coming from. Which wheel bearings did you replace?
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Thanks. All four!

Try slipping it into neutral on one of those downhill sweepers, and see if it still makes the noise. anything different happen during braking on the sweepers?
    '06 XC70 (Ice White) - 2.5T-Auto -102K Miles to-date
    '93 850 GLT -2.4L-Std - the Red Rocket - gone
    '80 240DL -B21F-Std - killed in 2015 by a Mazda outside our house @282k kms

Quote Originally Posted by imst0ked View Post
    Try slipping it into neutral on one of those downhill sweepers, and see if it still makes the noise. anything different happen during braking on the sweepers?
    I'll try this and report back!

Update: Car is currently getting it's front inner/outer tie arms ( TRW/Lemforder), ball joints( Lemforder), front-wheel bearings (FAG), front end links (Lemforder), poly engine trans/torque mount , spark plugs ( Bosch), and turbo air control valve replaced( Pierberg).
    The shop making the aforementioned fixin's, insist the noise is coming from the front wheel bearings.
    I hope so!
    Will report back after I drive the car.