Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help identifying oil leak, also destroy my theory.

1. I have an oil leak. I need to figure out where it is coming from. I had a fairly good clean up and very short test drive. It appears to be coming out on the drivers side bottom of the engine towards the back where the transmission connects to the AWD transfer case. I cant see any oil leaks looking down from the top so I think it's quite low down.

The forum won't let me up load a pic right now.

Tell me if I'm nuts but here is what I think is happening. The Volvo Booster Vacuum Ejector valve was coming apart ( my wife noticed that the brakes were super spongy ). WHile awaiting a new one I did a terrible tape and cable ties repair to cobble it together, this is around the time the leak started. I then did a bag test to see if the pcv system was working and I wasn't convinced ( probably caused the oil leak ). I did a slightly better repair on the Volvo Booster Vacuum Ejector with sealant and tried the bag test again. I think the pcv system is working properly. Am I nuts, not sure if the brake booster and PCV system are connected but they both deal with vacuum stuff right ???

Either way I still have a pretty good size oil leak to deal with. I need to figure out where it is coming from, some reading suggests that rear cam seal maybe fixable, rear main seal maybe a bridge too far for the this old car. I can't really figure out my next move to diagnose where the oil is coming from.

Edit, 2001 V70xc with 105k
    Last edited by BenF; 07-22-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something

How about the oring where the turbo oil return tube goes into the side of the block?

I will look for a schematic to try to find where to look for that. I hope you are right !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    How about the oring where the turbo oil return tube goes into the side of the block?
    I would have to get the transfer case out to even check ? I think it makes sense seeing where the oil is coming out.

Until you find the leak, everything else is Internet hand-wringing. Your explanation/guess is just that. A guess. Correlation is not causality, so your booster work probably didn’t cause the leak.

It’s common for the turbo oil pressure line and drain line to develop leaks.

Clean it up again. Get a mirror and a bright light. Look at the oil lines to the turbo.

You can’t see the rear cam seal without removing parts, including the upper engine mount for that exhaust cam rear seal, so don’t guess.

Clean it up. Look again.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by BenF View Post
    I would have to get the transfer case out to even check ?
    The tube will come out without removal of anything else, and is difficult to see.

You are right about the correlation / causation theory. Also It doesn't really matter at this point. Done a fair bit of cleaning up this morning. It certainly looks like the turbo area is looking more likely. Got the car running with toilet paper wrapped around the likely culprit now....

Astro 14 was totally right. I spent way too long messing round on the internet, eventually I just got on with it and after screwing about with a mirror on a stick for a while I was suspecting the rear cam seal. Turns out that changing it is really quite easy. It took about 2 1/2 hours including a trip to the dealership. After 20 mins of idling and 15 mins of driving it seems to be dry.

Thanks all

So it wasn’t the turbo line seal? I replaced mine about a year ago (when I dropped the angle gear to change the oil) and I’ve got a misting of oil that is eventually forming a slow drip on the driveway. Was there any particular guide you followed for this seal? I’m hoping to get under there and figure out what’s leaking this weekend.

Great news that you were able to fix it, but I'm unclear on which part was the problem...

Exhaust cam rear seal? Or a turbo line?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast