Default 2006 XC70 - Itake CVVT Position At Rest?

I am doing my 225K maintenance on my '06, 100K since the last timing belt. In doing so, I pulled the timing belt and then realized I need to do the camshaft seals as they are staring to show signs of age i.e. dusting of oil is starting. I marked the front gears against the block, then went to pull the reluctor ring off the back so that I can place my cam lock tool. Like a fool I put a ratchet on the 10mm reluctor ring retention bolt and moved the cam. Which should be OK because I can realign to my mark on the head. The issue is I did not check the CVVT at rest position before putting the ratchet on the bolt.

My questions to you are:
    1) is the intake CVVT at rest position at the counter clockwise stop? The clockwise stop? Or somewhere in between?
    2) Also, I am guessing I need to put the old timing belt back on to remove the cam reluctor ring retention bolts:

Remove the bolt, then install your cam locking tool. Your cams will be in the proper place.

If you’re doing seals without a cam locking tool, stop now. Get the tool and proceed.

Edit: I see you’ve got one.

I’d have to look up how to take the slack out (full CW or CCW) so, I have to refer you to your source of service information.

Don’t worry. You’ve not made a big mistake. Line up the locking tool. Rotate the VVT hub per the directions, it’ll all line up properly.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Sharing lessons learned - Astro is spot on, so long as crank is aligned to it's mark when placing the timing lock tool. This WILL ensure proper timing. The key after removing the CVVT hubs to replace the hub or seals is to put the hub back on rotated to it's clockwise lock position.

This will ensure your engine will start without a code. A extra and recommended step when assembling the hub to the cam is to align the timing gear mark to the cover timing mark while the hub is in the clockwise stop position. This is not necessary from a timing perspective but will facilitate future timing belt changes without having to access the rear of the cams and lock them again. It is easy to overthink. Credit goes F250 over on Mathews for an excellent write-up https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...e.php?id=32533

My other learning is to check the hubs for play. My exhaust hub had what I originally thought was a little play. I got a new one and realized it had a lot of play! Glad I replaced.