Default Parking Brake R&M

2002 Volvo V70 XC. I can not get rear rotors back on after replacing parking brake shoes. I have tried & checked everything multiple times. Cable is completely loose. New pads are Bosch replacements for Volvo Part #31262869 which is correct part per VIDA. Cable expander is closed. Shoes are oriented per VIDA drawing.
    I have even gone so far as to shorten the fixed link 9/16" to get the rotor back on; but then with use everything seems to fall into place and is too loose to adjust for any contact. I am trying to replace my shortened links now with the correct ones #31257573, but have the same problem of not being able to get rotor on.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Pictures would be helpful. Ones showing the shoes installed and the hardware and anchor points.
    New rotors or old ones with rust/rust ridges on them stopping them from going over the park brake shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by jcpease View Post
    I can not get rear rotors back on after replacing parking brake shoes.
    Every set of e brake shoes I've done, starting with the 140 series volvos (first rear discs, 122s had drums) and every car my techs did always had the same problem - and eventually we all got them back together without any modifications.

Your "fixed link" i'm guessing is the forked bar between the shoes. In some Early cars 140s, 240s, maybe 740's - that part was an adjuster - you would tighten or loosen it with a flat blade screwdriver thru one of the holes in the rotor/hub - and the adjusters are a direct replacement. If a tech couldn't get one back together I would get some from my local Volvo junkyard. The shop would be much quieter after that.

google volvo 677525 for a picture of the adjuster or go here - https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAM
    Last edited by hoonk; 06-01-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added part #

You may also want to try adjusting the parking brake cable at the handle, maybe loosening it up will release the pads a little more, letting you get the rotors on. It can then be adjusted for proper functionality.

Video Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MhlCeJoC0k

2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Adjuster link + claw from P80 works very well on P2.

VTL - do you leave that adjusting link in the drum (for good) or take it out after adjusting? I had a terrible time when I replaced my e-brake shoes a few years ago.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Keep it in the drum. Can be adjusted with a screwdriver via lug bolt's hole.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I did this too, it's a perfect solution.

I put the shoe assembly into the rotor drum & micrometered the cable expander @ 59.4 mm and the shoe notch gap @ 55.6 mm; so the shoes are the problem, not the installation. I ordered a new set of Volvo branded shoes.
    Received new Volvo parking brake shoes. Expander notch gap in hub is 60.0 mm (vs. 55.6 mm with Bosch). Installed Volvo parking brake shoes & disc hub. Hub fits with no interference. Correctly made part makes the job so much easier.
    Saw this on another site: CARDINAL RULE: Volvo for parking brake shoes. I am a believer. My Bosch shoes are too big, and I’ve seen posts where they are too small.

Glad you got it sorted out! Thanks for coming back to update, I'm sure it will help someone in the future.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack