Default No crank no start after engine swap

Hey y’all I need help troubleshooting. I replaced the engine in my 2003 xc70. Got everything hooked back up again and tried to start it for the first time. No crank no start. Battery is brand new. Where should I look first?

Nevermind. I had the spade connector on the wrong post on the starter. Now I’m getting crank but no start. Hahah

At least that's progress!

Fuel, spark, compression. Probably easiest to check in that order. For fuel, add an external source, i.e. small amount of starter fluid shot into the intake. Do you get fire? If you get fire on external fuel, you know you have spark and compression; therefore, you likely have a fuel issue. If you don't get fire on external fuel, it doesn't mean you don't have a fuel issue. There must be some other issue with spark or compression, but the fuel issue is inconclusive until you fix the others. For spark, pull a coil and put a test spark plug in the coil. Have someone crank the engine while you carefully ground the plug on the engine. Got spark? If not, you have a spark issue. If you do get spark, you could still have some other issue with timing of the spark (ignition timing), but at least you know the circuitry is working. For compression, the usual compression test.

Brett

If I recall correctly, the injectors won't pulse unless the ECU registers spark.

In other words, you can have fuel pressure at the rail, but no fuel going into the car if there is a spark problem.

So, I would listen for the very faint whine of the pump when you turn on the key, check rail pressure, then check spark. There might be one other wire incorrectly connected...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

For the OP, the external fuel test still stands and is very quick (probably takes 2 minutes) and doable without a fuel pressure test gauge if you don't have one. You can quickly and easily verify if the rest of the system (spark and compression) is working. Listening for the fuel pump is a very good idea. If you don't hear it running, you definitely will have a fuel problem. If you don't hear it, I would probably start with the fuel pump relay and fuses. You can swap in another identical working relay from some other system to quickly check the relay. Don't ask me where the fuel pump relay is. I don't know.

Brett