Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I carry a 6 ton jack stand.

However, never had a chance for a tire change in field. BFG KO2 LT (load range D) helps, it is an extremely sturdy tire.

Had one rims cracked however, but the wheel didn't fail till return to the base.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Got it. I should have guessed. I'm planning on carrying a jack stand as well.
    Brett

I may change my bulky jack stand for a foldable one that takes less cargo space. Or fabricate my own.

Would love to see your swing arm tire carrier, Brett.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    I may change my bulky jack stand for a foldable one that takes less cargo space. Or fabricate my own.

Would love to see your swing arm tire carrier, Brett.
    I searched a little for a foldable jack stand. There was something on Amazon that was out of stock. There are folding pipe stands, but they were too tall. I just read a couple of off-road forums where good points about safety were made. Do you want to use something designed to collapse?

I'd like to see my tire carrier, too. LOL I'm waiting for a more powerful welder (220 V) to arrive. They say it's backordered until May 15. I've tacked together most of it with my 110 V MIG machine. My methods will be questionable, though. I'm planning on welding it to the body. I believe the sheet metal at the lower corner of the rear with all the bends and folds is going to be strong enough. I will gusset the hell out of it all around the mounting point to distribute the forces. The hinge will have to be mounted away from the body but as close as possible in order to keep the arm that attaches the hinge to the body as short as possible to reduce the forces on the body where it's mounted (if that makes sense). That means the whole carrier will be close the body when closed, and it will clash big time with the bumper. So, there will probably be an ugly hack job done on the bumper, and I think I'm going to have to figure out a different way to hold the bumper on. Or maybe I'll end up fabricating some kind of metal skin. I don't know, yet. I don't really have a plan.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett San Diego View Post
    I'd like to see my tire carrier, too. LOL I'm waiting for a more powerful welder (220 V) to arrive. They say it's backordered until May 15. I've tacked together most of it with my 110 V MIG machine. My methods will be questionable, though. I'm planning on welding it to the body. I believe the sheet metal at the lower corner of the rear with all the bends and folds is going to be strong enough.
    Nope. It is designed to collapse being rear ended. Here the guy got spot-welded sheets separated after not very smooth mountain descent:

You have to use tow bar holes, directly or indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett San Diego View Post
    I will gusset the hell out of it all around the mounting point to distribute the forces. The hinge will have to be mounted away from the body but as close as possible in order to keep the arm that attaches the hinge to the body as short as possible to reduce the forces on the body where it's mounted (if that makes sense). That means the whole carrier will be close the body when closed, and it will clash big time with the bumper. So, there will probably be an ugly hack job done on the bumper, and I think I'm going to have to figure out a different way to hold the bumper on. Or maybe I'll end up fabricating some kind of metal skin. I don't know, yet. I don't really have a plan.
    Did you see the swing arm tire carrier of a Swedespeed fellow?

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...92s-XC70-build

Lots of pictures, scroll it down.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

That's the sheet metal of the spare tire well that is separating from the rear bulkhead. That spare tire well metal is super thin and crappy. I know because I just welded the mounts for my air compressor and tank to it. I was blowing holes in it right and left. The rear bulkhead metal is much thicker. And, I've seam welded the panels in the area of the planned swing arm mount. It's not just spot welds holding things together anymore.

Thanks for the link to the Swedespeed thread. I had not seen it. I have to admit, that guy's swing arm carrier is even jankier than mine. Small tubing, the swing arm is welded to the hinge by a single weld along a 1-dimensional steel plate rather than a boxed section of tubing, the hinge bolt looks pretty small, unclear if it's got bearings, and the latch pin doesn't look very convenient. On the other hand, I see these jeep guys build swing arms with 1/4 in wall tubing, which is way overkill in my opinion, even if you have 200 lb tires. I have purchased some nice pre-fabricated hinge and latch components from an off-road fabricator. They're way overkill in the area of strength, but they are nice components. My carrier will be supported at the hinge end and at the latch end when it is latched, so only half the dynamic forces when moving will be on the hinge welded to the body. I appreciate your concerns. I certainly have my own. But, I'm going to try sticking it to the body. I figure I'll be able to stand and jump on it to test it and see if the body buckles. If it does, I'll just cut it off and go to plan B (whatever that is).

Brett
    Last edited by Brett San Diego; 04-29-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Good for you - I'm only making my first baby steps with the arc welder =)
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12