Default On board air system installed

I'm equipping my V70 XC for mild off-roading. I put in a set of Bad Swede lifting springs a couple years ago and have been making excursions into the deserts out here in southern California. I usually air down to 15-20 psi off road and run 38 psi on pavement. I bought a small air compressor from Harbor Freight (the $35 one) to air up the tires when returning to pavement. Took way too long to air up 4 tires, and although the compressor didn't shut off by its thermal cut off, I exceeded the recommended duty cycle by far. I'm not about to sit and wait 30 min for it to cool down (as long as it's still running)... So, I bought a second one and have been running them both at the same time plugged into different power outlets, which wasn't bad, but on my most recent trip, one of them crapped out. It wouldn't pump past about 25 psi. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I decided to go all in and put in an on board air system with compressor and air tank. I pack a full size spare, so the spare tire well is now mostly empty leaving a nice space for the installation. There are lots of choices in tanks and compressors. I went with a 2.5 gallon tank and 1.7 cfm/200 psi compressor from Vixen Air Horns. Yes, air horns. Their reason for being is air horns, but whether it's running an air horn or airing up tires, the tank and compressor system is the same.

Pic 1 Shows the finished installation in the spare tire well. The unit with the blue knob and gauge is a regulator. I will also use the system to air up sleeping pads when camping. I thought 200 psi blasting out of the air nozzle might damage the sleeping pad. I’m also going to see if it’ll run an impact gun for changing tires, and the air needs to be regulated at 90 psi for the impact wrench. I’m not sure if the system can supply enough air through the 1/4 in air fittings for the impact wrench. The actual opening in the fittings is only about 1/8 in. But, I’ll give it a go when it’s ready to test. I just finished the installation this evening, and the thread sealant needs to cure for 24 h.

Pic 2 shows where I mounted the air connector behind the side panel. This turned out really good, I thought.

Pic 3 shows a fuse box that I put in the back while I was at it. I’m also putting in two other circuits, off road lights and some extra cargo area lights.

Pic 4 shows the power switch mounted in the climate control unit next to the unused switch blanks. The other switch is for the off road lighting when I get around to it. My first thought was to replace the blanks with factory switches that have a toggle-style function, but I found that that would be more work than I wanted when I opened the climate control unit and found how the switches plug directly into the circuit board behind the panel.

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2891.jpeg   IMG_2895.jpeg   IMG_2892.jpeg   IMG_2885.jpeg  
    Last edited by Brett San Diego; 04-13-2020 at 03:40 AM.

Next up: the aformentioned off road lighting and a swing away spare tire carrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2896.jpeg   IMG_2889.jpeg  

Some pics from recent excursions. Pic 1: Camped at the Hauser Geode Beds. Pic 2: Parked for the cross country hike to Monument Mountain in Joshua Tree National Park. Pic 3: Sunrise across a valley from Ibex Dunes in the south part of Death Valley National Park. Pic 4: Camped on the west side of Death Valley off of Trail Canyon Rd.

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2838.jpeg   IMG_2717.jpeg   IMG_2537.jpeg   IMG_2532.jpeg  
    Last edited by Brett San Diego; 04-13-2020 at 03:29 AM.

Very impressive, great work. This is the way you enjoy the Great Outdoors!
    I don't have much experience with compressed air. Do you have to be concerned with that tank possibly coming apart with contents being under pressure? Just thinking about safety...
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Good question. The thought crossed my mind. I guess the answer is probably. Plenty of cars and SUV's are running air suspensions which all need a compressor and tank, so it's not like this is out of the ordinary. I also have a small floor jack that I carry in the tire well as well. I may look for something lighter and will also do something to secure it now that the tank is in there. I expect to bleed the tank down after outings, too.
    Brett