Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by drgian View Post
    I didn't even know that an automatic trans HAS a clutch so clearly I have a long way to go here. I spend today organizing tools and cleaning up after my last job (which was the head gasket on this same car and 3 bent valves. What bugs me so much now is that she runs like an atomic clock, she starts and idles and (except for the shifting issues) drives great, you can hear and feel the turbo whine. So I can just give her away and the mechanics I've called either won't touch her or want outrageous money to buy a reman trans and put it it ($5000).

So I'm committed. What you're describing makes sense about the engine, I didn't realize it doesn't come out, just needs support and no twisting around. I'll gather up the parts and other stuff you describe here and there so the wife won't notice one large cash layout (I've learned that's the secret). I have enough projects around the house to keep me busy till deer season and then I'll be hunting until I fill my 2 tags. After that I'll dive into this trans. I will collect the tools and whatnot until then and start and run here every few weeks so she stays healthy.

I'll hit you up here when I start buying stuff. Thanks, in advance, for your help, I sure hope I can pull this off. It's a really nice car; she'll be 18 in November (my daughter) I'd like her to have it by summer so she can use it to get to work and then (hopefully) college in 2021. I think she's got another 100K in her easily once I fix this trans and a few other small things (front right driveshaft and CV joints, and a few other codes I need to chase down)

You can reach me at giandiloreto (at) gmail directly maybe when we get into the meat of this project we can just communicate via email, but it's up to you.

drGian
    In this transmission there are 7 clutch packs and a brake band for 3rd gear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Second Brake (B2, outer) and Second Coast Brake (B1, inner).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	9316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-2 & Reverse Brake (B5) 3rd gear band (B4) visible.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	9315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-5 Clutch (C3).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	9317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Low Reverse Brake (B3).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	9318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forward Clutch (C1, outer) and Direct Clutch (C2, inner).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	9319

well I know it's been a long long time, but this has finally been resolved and it wasn't the transmission after all. After many mechanics, and experts on this site told me it needed a new trans I found a mechanic who told me for $450 he'd test everything and definitively tell me what the issue was. He drove the car with a scope and a laptop sending commands to the trans. He was able to determine that the trans was fine between that test and measuring line pressures that I didn't entirely understand.

Recall this is the same care I blew the ECU by changing the alternator without disconnecting the battery. He said it was the analogous computer for the trans that was blown but alas he didn't have one and couldn't find one. I got one on ebay for $35, he programmed it for $300 and she now runs like a dream!!

I somehow couldn't accept that it was a mechanical issue and I'm glad I held out hope. I was ready to scrap it and now it's a car with all sorts of new parts, rebuilt engine and smooth shifting trans. Thanks to all for your advice and help throughout the multi-year journey, now I'm a happy dad with a kid asking me for gas money every 3 days.

drGian
    current lineup: 2001 Volvo v70 2.4 Turbo, 2014 Ford Flex AWD, 3.5 V6 Turbo, 2017 F-150 3.5 V6 Turbo

It’s good to hear you got your car fixed and running well again. I’m impressed with the mechanic that determined it was the TCM and not the transmission. I think problems with the TCM are very rare and I should have paid more attention to the alternator replacement and problems starting with the ECM. With a damaged TCM the transmission problems had to have started suddenly after the alt replacement and the failure modes constants along with the codes.
    When the mechanic was looking at the car I’m wondering how he/she determined it was the TCM and not the transmission itself. It would have to be a TCM self-test problem or an expected command from the TCM that didn’t occur because any command that was actually sent to the linear or shift solenoids could be the solenoids themselves or other internal trans problems. In any case this is very good diagnostic work. Do you know the codes that were being stored and read?
    With the TCM you found off Ebay I thought used parts can’t be re-programmed but it’s good to know it’s possible with the TCM.
    Thanks for posting the follow up it’s always good to know the final solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123