Question 2007 S40 2.4i won't start - VIDA codes inside

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is well in these absurd times.

My friend brought over her 2007 s40 to replace the coolant hoses (leaking) and figure out why her car is in limp mode.

It sat for two days (raining) and now I can't get the damn thing started. I put the battery on a charger overnight, VIDA shows it at 12.1V (Is this battery shot?), it turns over revs up and then shuts down.

Did I screw something up when I disconnected the computers on the airbox (I hate this design)?

VIDA print outs:

ECM-1300 MAF Sensor - Signal too low
    ECM-1400 Manifold Pressure Sensor - Signal too high
    ECM-140B Manifold Pressure Sensor - Signal too high
    ECM-914C Throttle Valve - Signal too low
    ECM-130B MAF Sensor- Signal too low

I've got the car until Monday, a used but working MAF sensor should be here by the 4th just in case.

ANY idea whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

I keep seeing posts in other Volvo forums about how the smaller Volvo’s (s40,c30) are highly susceptible to generating these kind of errors with a weak battery.

I’m seeing that the battery should read around 13v in VIDA, the highest I’ve seen in this car is 12.1. Is it possible that these sensors are not happy with this voltage and won’t allow the car to run even though it seems to turn over fine?

Quote Originally Posted by NTXC View Post
    I keep seeing posts in other Volvo forums about how the smaller Volvo’s (s40,c30) are highly susceptible to generating these kind of errors with a weak battery.

I’m seeing that the battery should read around 13v in VIDA, the highest I’ve seen in this car is 12.1. Is it possible that these sensors are not happy with this voltage and won’t allow the car to run even though it seems to turn over fine?
    Bear in mind that when engaging the starter that there may be an additional voltage drop. However, if the battery cannot accept more of a charge than 12.xx volts from a healthy charger, I would condemn the battery and expect that no further effective diagnosis could be expected until that issue is resolved, i.e: battery or charger. From where I'm sitting (which could be across the country/world ), I would guess the battery is worn out and/or low on electrolyte.
    For better diagnosis in the future, here is the DTC list with more information for each than you may have:
    https://www.dtcdecode.com/Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by NTXC View Post
    her car is in limp mode.

I can't get the damn thing started.

it turns over revs up and then shuts down.

VIDA print outs:

ECM-1300 MAF Sensor - Signal too low
    ECM-1400 Manifold Pressure Sensor - Signal too high
    ECM-140B Manifold Pressure Sensor - Signal too high
    ECM-914C Throttle Valve - Signal too low
    ECM-130B MAF Sensor- Signal too low

idea whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!
    I would suspect a large air leak somewhere between the MAF and the intake manifold.

You say the engine will start - when first spinning over the fuel system injects enough fuel (like a choke) at first ("revs up"), then the ECU will take signals from MAF and MAP and temp sensors and throttle to know how much fuel to continue with. Large air leak means no or reduced air flow MAF, wrong signal from MAP (if it has one), so no more fuel - engine then won't stay running.

Or I have seen bad engine OR outside temp sensors cause the same problem. ECU thinks it's very hot (engine or outside) so after the first squirt a very lean mixture is sent to the injectors - with not enough fuel for a cold engine to run on.

Thanks for the responses guys. I managed to get it fired up and running great last night, but there’s still some codes that make me think she’s going to get limp mode again down the road.

For now, I’m replacing the coolant lines (leaking) and then I’ll start looking back into this.