Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-Pack CV Joint

2005 XC70 with 185k - I've been getting some clicking (sounds like from the engine bay) and my ABS light has been coming on/off intermittently. VIDA says it's my wheel speed sensor. I was getting ready to check /clean my right front when I saw this mess.

I thought it was oil at first and figured I blew a cam seal (upper timing belt area is bone dry). Upon closer inspection, it looks like grease from the CV boot. What do you all think? It looks like like small cracks in the boot. I just ordered new CV boot kits from FCP rather than buying a new axle.

Has anyone re-packed their axle this way?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200220_174748.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	9225

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Check the axle bolt. Mine came loose (driver side) and created noise and an ABS fault. Bought a new bolt and torqued to specs. Supposedly the bolts are designed for one use and stretch to provide proper securing torque.

Quote Originally Posted by perkinscl View Post
    2005 XC70 with 185k - I've been getting some clicking and my ABS light has been coming on/off intermittently. VIDA says it's my wheel speed sensor.

I just ordered new CV boot kits from FCP rather than buying a new axle.

I have replaced many CV boots- It's a very messy job, I imagine cleaning all the old grease out is difficult w/out a parts washer. If the clicking is when you are turning sharply - the outer CV joint is worn and new grease won't fix that. (new grease usually comes in the kits) Also the inner joint wears and causes a vibration, usually when accelerating. With 185k are you sure you still have the original axles? Aftermarket replacement axles sometimes use different size boots so your boot kit might not fit. Careful inspection of the clean moving parts in the joint is recommended before wasting money on a boot kit that won't fix noises/vibrations.

Your northern climate ABS light could be caused by a rusty/loose tone ring on the axle - I replaced very few sensors here in the south and usually for damaged wiring. A new tone ring comes on a new axle, but I have seen them sold separately also.

CV grease from GKN kit does not work with tripod joints. In fact, it is a fully assured way to kill the tripod in no matter of time. For tripod (inner CV joint) you need to use another type of grease, like this one: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-...e-vw-g052186a3
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ridley View Post
    Check the axle bolt. Mine came loose (driver side) and created noise and an ABS fault. Bought a new bolt and torqued to specs. Supposedly the bolts are designed for one use and stretch to provide proper securing torque.
    I had just replaced both front control arms, bearing/hubs and ball joints in the front. I used new axle bolts and torqued them to spec, but with the car in the air and w/o using antiseize like I see on IPD's instructions. I was getting ready to put new axle bolts in and clean the speed sensor when I saw this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    I have replaced many CV boots- It's a very messy job, I imagine cleaning all the old grease out is difficult w/out a parts washer. If the clicking is when you are turning sharply - the outer CV joint is worn and new grease won't fix that. (new grease usually comes in the kits) Also the inner joint wears and causes a vibration, usually when accelerating. With 185k are you sure you still have the original axles? Aftermarket replacement axles sometimes use different size boots so your boot kit might not fit. Careful inspection of the clean moving parts in the joint is recommended before wasting money on a boot kit that won't fix noises/vibrations.

Your northern climate ABS light could be caused by a rusty/loose tone ring on the axle - I replaced very few sensors here in the south and usually for damaged wiring. A new tone ring comes on a new axle, but I have seen them sold separately also.
    Thanks Hoonk, you always have good advice. I imagine this is going to be messy, I'm not looking forward to it. I bought both inner and outer boots from FCP.

The clicking sounded like it was coming from the ABS module area itself and would happen only when the car was cold and not turning. Shortly after the ticking, the ABS light would come on and the ticking would stop. I replaced the ABS motor several years ago and thought maybe the new one was on it's way out or the module itself was developing issues. I read a lot of modules would develop issues due to broken solder connections.

I'm hoping the axle isn't too torn up, if so that will be next.

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    CV grease from GKN kit does not work with tripod joints. In fact, it is a fully assured way to kill the tripod in no matter of time. For tripod (inner CV joint) you need to use another type of grease, like this one: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-...e-vw-g052186a3
    I bought this kit from FCP - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...r-c70-31256221

The grease here won't work?

I bought this kit from FCP - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...r-c70-31256221

The grease here won't work?
    Tripod grease should say it is for tripod.

I've got MOS2 grease in this/similar kit - big no for tripod.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Yes, all of them. I replaced my front axles with DSS knockoffs about a year after I got the car due to a torn boot but I kept the Volvo OEM in case I wanted core parts for a rebuild one day. Turns out installing new boots is pretty easy, I bought a puller to get the outer housing off but that was the only really unique tool I needed. Yes there's a lot of grease to get rid of but that's what rags are for. Rebuilt the rears when I put a new final drive in. Rebuilt the fronts when I replaced the angle gear.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going to my local dealer and got blue box inner and outer boots @ $55/each kit. Each kit includes the boot, grease, circlip, axle bolt and clamps. I bought
    Lisle CV Boot Clamp Pliers for $29 through Amazon.

It was a dirty, greasy, sucky job altogether, but very doable. The worst part was getting the tripod bearing past the circlip. My driver's side boots look in the same condition, just not spewing grease yet. I just ordered GKN boots from FCP so I can replace them next.

Here are some pics:

Name:	IMG_20200223_155757.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	9228

Name:	IMG_20200223_161513.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	9229