Default What's not to love about junk yards!

What's not to love about junk yards! Prices, indeed, but where else one can get an "education" on anatomy and R&R of automotive components at the whooping $2.00 entry fee!

I'm now comfortable removing the front bumper, headlights, grill, door cards... Well aware or the light bulbs location with in the center console electronics and such... Priceless education!

Big spender too! $10 today brought home a mint driver's side front door grill (mine is cracked)

All the plastic valve cover/timing cover pieces and fuel rail cover (going to tidy up my brother's 99 V70XC)

And decided to make a "flush" adapter for transmission service, so as part of the junk yard trip, I got this factory piece/return line from another 2004 XC, added the clear tubing

3 jugs of IDEMITSU fluid arrived today from Amazon

Tomorrow we change the fluid, just need to get the "O" rings for return line and the crush washer for the drain plug from the dealer tomorrow after work.

Regards,
    D
    2004 Volvo XC70
    1998 MB C280
    1995 MB SL500

Love the flush adapter - I should've thought of that!

You'll find the crush washer to be the same size as the oil drain plug crush washer, so, you can buy them in bulk from a place like IPD and use them for either purpose.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Yup! Buy a set of ten and put them in your glove box. When your next set of ten comes because you forgot that you put them in there you then sprinkle a pair here and there so you’ll never be without.

I want to hear about this fluid change.
    That Idemitsu TLS is conventional, right?

My '07's shifting improved after a D&F with conv. fluid. It had ~100% synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Love the flush adapter - I should've thought of that!

You'll find the crush washer to be the same size as the oil drain plug crush washer, so, you can buy them in bulk from a place like IPD and use them for either purpose.
    That little adapter worked like a charm, perfect little "tool" for ATF in these cars!

Quote Originally Posted by NTXC View Post
    Yup! Buy a set of ten and put them in your glove box. When your next set of ten comes because you forgot that you put them in there you then sprinkle a pair here and there so you’ll never be without.
    Actually got a dozen on order, along with filter tool, and filter cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
    I want to hear about this fluid change.
    That Idemitsu TLS is conventional, right?...
    Conventional indeed. We have looked at the MSDS data sheets few years back, and based on the numbers, I believe it is the very fluid provided to AISIN. Shifts very smooth. It wasn't bad to begin with, 126K on the car, it was changed at least x2 based on the records that came with the car, last one at about 35-40K from what I recall. I like the changes at 20K personally. 250 miles since this D&F, no complains at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
    ...My '07's shifting improved after a D&F with conv. fluid. It had ~100% synthetic.
    Very interesting! I use only synthetic ATF in all of our MB cars (5 in total) and all are as happy as they can be! I've even considered going to Redline in this P2 once I have it lifted and suspension sorted, so I can do some mild off road traveling. Interested how would Redline D4 synthetic perform in these (as Redline lists D4 as T-IV compatible)... Will see, for now this Idemitsu doing this transmission just fine.

Regards,
    D
    Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 02-21-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    1998 MB C280
    1995 MB SL500