Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oil consumption 2016 XC 70 T5

Took over wife’s XC 70 around 50 k, and now has 90k. Always did factory recommended services at dealer. Never noticed oil consumption problem until recently (probably starting)around 80k. Oil pressure light came on driving near auto parts store and could believe how much oil I had to add to get back up to top level (nearly 4 qts.)😖 it was my fault for not regularly checking level, but never had problem before. Lesson learned -always check oil regularly. I thought there would be a light that would come before getting that low? I’ve been monitoring oil since and burning about 1qt.per 1k. Took into dealer recently for regular service and they only pulled a spark plug and added BG oil additive product, and replied they’re no engine codes. Out of warrantee and don’t care to deal with them any longer. After reading about burning oil, could be varnished/stuck rings, worn rings, PCV, Valve seals, or...? after doing some research. I’m thinking doing BG platinum fuel additive to clean fuel system and combustion chamber, then do BG EPR engines clean and possibly unstick rings back to normal. I’ll be doing my own oil changes from now on, but every 5-6 k. If the flush doesn’t seam to help, I’ll get her checked over by an independent mechanic. Has anyone ever tried BG EPR, or experienced varnished/stuck rings? I read that engines now days are more prone to this problem especially with such long oil change intervals. Thanks for any tips or advice. Love the car and trying to make it last.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2112 View Post
    now has 90k.

1. Always did factory recommended services at dealer.

2. Oil pressure light came on I thought there would be a light that would come before getting that low?

3. burning about 1qt.per 1k.

4. dealer added BG oil additive product,

5. After reading about burning oil, could be varnished/stuck rings, worn rings, PCV, Valve seals, or...?

6. I’m thinking doing BG platinum fuel additive

7. then do BG EPR engines clean

8. I’ll be doing my own oil changes from now on, but every 5-6 k.

9. If the flush doesn’t seam to help, I’ll get her checked over by an independent mechanic.

10. Has anyone ever tried BG EPR,

11. I read that engines now days are more prone to this problem especially with such long oil change intervals.
    1. 10k between oil changes is usually too long for most driving conditions.

2. There is no oil level sensor, just oil pressure. (and oil level sensors fail in the engines that have them)

3. Unfortunately expect your engine to continue with that usage.

4. And took x dollars from your wallet

5. Could be - if PCV system was incorrectly regulating "oil fume" flow, you would usually get a code or some other symptom (high vacuum in crankcase), worn valve seals certainly can cause increased oil usage, none are inexpensive to fix other than pcv system.

6. Don't try any more additives, unless you just like to throw money away.

7. Same as previous comment, there is no such thing as a "tune up in a can" and anything that thins oil out is not a good idea. My BG salesman used to try to sell me all that stuff.

8. Frequent oil changes with a quality oil/filter are a very good idea.

9. OK - maybe he will sell you a magic additive also, or even a valve job or engine rebuild! (there nothing cheap to fix/check if there are no external leaks)

10. No, as you can tell I don't like additives, although in the early 80's-90's, Techron or the BG fuel product was needed until injector and gasoline makers got their act together and made products that did not clog.

11. Yes and direct injection has created new problems.

I have seen many oil burning Volvo engines over the years - they usually were owned by timid drivers, those that never ran the engines hard - so possibly using the entire RPM range with full throttle sometimes might help -

Curious to know if this 2016 "T5" has one of the early 4 cyl. Drive-E engines. Is it FWD? 8-speed Geartronic? Direct fuel injection?
    Last edited by pbierre; 02-15-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Not sure, maybe to unload engines ? This was the last model year for XC70 -ordered it and was made in Sweden. Our previous 2013 Xc70 was 6 cylinder and is still going strong with mother in law driving. I’m going to use BG 109 EPR soon to clean the engine out of gunk & varnish to see if there is any improvement. Anyone else ever use this or Auto RX?

Well, I added BGs 44kplatinum to clean fuel system, and seemed to make immediate impact on throttle response and felt peppy. Then I added BGs EPR to old oil let car rev around 1200-1500 rpm for about 17 minutes, drained/ replaced filter. Oil was black. Put in cheaper synthetic 5w-30 and drove forvabout 20 minutes, then drain that/replaced filter to get more of EPR out. Oil was black again at first but then turned lighter as oil ended it’s draining. Put Castrol5w-30 synthetic in and new filter, along with BG MOA. Dip stick shows clear clean oil-even hard to see level so clear. Only time will tell if oil consumption improves. Hard for me to know if compression is up , but sure seems to sound and drive nicely.👍 I’ll let you know what I find with consumption in few weeks.

Hoonk is right. Even though cleaning engine and fuel system made me feel better, it did nothing for oil consumption. Burned about 1/2 quart per 500 miles, and oil is beginning to turn darker. The car seams to drive fine, however. Except for intermittent left blinker rapidly blinking. At least I know how to change oil now in this car.

Is it worth trying to fix and what proper procedures should I expect from good mechanic if I decide to take the fixing route? One mechanic told me they start with changing the oil catch can unit first as there’s no way to tell how the oil is burning. I suppose I could live with it for awhile, but don’t want catastrophe either. Would high mileage oil do anything to help? Currently using Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-30. If I trade in for new Volvo XC60 - I’m afraid these problems might occur with new direct injection engines over time. Or, which Volvo engine would be the best for long term these days? Sorry for lengthy post, but might help someone else in similar situation. Thanks

So I’m out of warrantee and found this (my engine). 😖
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61744-9999.pdf

If it's anything like the older petrol units a clagged up breather system is likely a culprit, rather than anything inherently worn or broken.

This thread is muddled by confusion over which specific "T5" engine the OP is about. Volvo deserves the blame for reusing the "T5" nomenclature for their 4-cylinder 2.0L Drive-E engine.
    I'll take Mark's claim that his 2016 XC70 has engine 61 (B5254 T12).

That said, when posting an engine problem, can I suggest that the OP pin down the engine model the way I just did? Especially, for the MYs 2016- where the "T5", "T6" , "T8" take on non-traditional meaning?
    Last edited by pbierre; 03-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Yes, that’s the engine code pbierre. Anyone clean out or replace breather box/ system on these? Might be worth a try before going to other measures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast