Default New member, wanted to say hello.

Cheers all!

New member here, wanted to say hello. Not new to cars, certainly not new to Volvo, in the past 1994 850 T5, 1998 S70 T5 and now 2004 XC70

Hope to contribute.

Regards,
    D

Nice looking ride! First thing I’d do if you haven’t searched around here is take care of any fluids that may not have been replaced in the car yet. I did my angle gear fluid, Gibbons transmission flush to some beautiful new Toyota IV fluid, power steering fluid replacement, brake fluid replacement, and coolant replacement (which was part of a new radiator install).

This is a great forum with amazingly helpful members like Asto, Hoonk, and Gibbons on it. All they ask in return for advice is that you contribute what you can when you can in terms of advice.

Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by NTXC View Post
    Nice looking ride! First thing I’d do if you haven’t searched around here is take care of any fluids that may not have been replaced in the car yet. I did my angle gear fluid, Gibbons transmission flush to some beautiful new Toyota IV fluid, power steering fluid replacement, brake fluid replacement, and coolant replacement (which was part of a new radiator install).

This is a great forum with amazingly helpful members like Asto, Hoonk, and Gibbons on it. All they ask in return for advice is that you contribute what you can when you can in terms of advice.

Welcome aboard.
    Cheers!

I'm quite happy with this one. Before me, it was one owner car, local... they have provided me with the printout of maintenance since new. Most of the fluids up to date, timing belt/tensioner was done 87K (now 126K), so I have another year or so to go. New radiator and thermostat/housing/temp sensor all replaced just before I purchased the car. Transmission service is coming up (by my standards), I like to change ATF every 30K miles, so I will do this along with the next oil change.

The only thing I'm not seeing in the records is the PCV work. It should have been changed by now, so I will take care of it soon, just my old 850 and S70...

Regards,
    D

Cheers NTXC and thanks!

I'm quite happy with this car thus far. There was only one prior local owner, pages of maintenance records with dealer stamps and invoices were included (even the original sticker). Most fluids are up to date, so is the timing belt. New Michelin tires. Radiator and thermostat/temp sensor housing replaced just before I purchased the car. A well overall kept XC for sure. I will however change the transmission fluid shortly, I like my ATF intevals at 30K.

The only part I'm not finding is the PCV work, and at 126K it should have been changed. I wish it was done, but with out the record - who knows... And there is very very little vacuum with the oil cap off. So I will change those pieces out as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

Regards,
    D
    Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 02-08-2020 at 08:38 AM.

I suggest to do the complete AWD service:
    change Angle Gear oil
    change Haldex AWD fluid and (filter depending on which Haldex generation your car has).
    change rear differential oil

The procedures and tools are similar, and car must be jacked up. Figure out and order all needed parts in advance (crush washers, Haldex filter). Just clean the oil pump path before going from gear oil to Haldex AOD tranny fluid (and visa versa), so as not to contaminate what's being pumped in. Search YouTube for vids.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I suggest to do the complete AWD service:
    change Angle Gear oil
    change Haldex AWD fluid and (filter depending on which Haldex generation your car has).
    change rear differential oil

The procedures and tools are similar, and car must be jacked up. Figure out and order all needed parts in advance (crush washers, Haldex filter). Just clean the oil pump path before going from gear oil to Haldex AOD tranny fluid (and visa versa), so as not to contaminate what's being pumped in. Search YouTube for vids.
    Thanks for the tips pbierre, appreciate it!

Ideed will tackle most of these components soon.

Regards,
    D
    2004 Volvo XC70
    1998 MB C280
    1995 MB SL500