Default New Ignition Switch, New Keys, New Problem!

The key cylinder failed on my 06 XC70. The key would not turn at all. I sourced a replacement from Tasca which was cheaper than the dealership, it came with two new blades and a valet key, also a door and glove box lock cylinder. I only have one fob, but this extra blade is a good start toward getting another.

I had to cut the old one apart to get it to release the interlock cable, so I know it really was the cylinder.

Yesterday I installed the new one, put everything back and reconnected the battery. The car will not crank, though all other electrical items work fine. The doors will lock and unlock. I even tried putting the fob near the antenna that surrounds the cylinder and tried manually turning the actual switch at the opposite end (after removal) but no go.

Is there some sort of procedure I need to go through to initialize this or something?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE-I learned that the chip is in the key blade part and not in the remote part. I was able to start it with the old key inserted and the starter switch removed and turned with a screwdriver. So I need to transfer the chip from the old key to the new one, which is easier said than done as the plastic portion of the blade appears to be glued together. I ordered a new shell for $14 on Amazon and will transfer the stuff to that. If I can transfer the key, great. If not I will get it duplicated on the blank that comes with the new case.

Anything to avoid the stealership!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    Anything to avoid the stealership!
    BTW - Tasca is a dealership -

I have heard that some have had luck taping the "chip" or the old key under the steering column cover near the antenna ring. That way all of your new keys will work.

The Volvo way to make new keys work is a software download (using VIDA with a subscription from Volvo) for each key to tell the CEM to accept the signal from each.

I would have simply ordered the ignition lock cylinder keyed to your old key. (From your non-dealer Tasca) Volvo knows what the key code is from the VIN. That way you only purchase 1 lock cylinder (versus 3 keys and three lock cylinders) and can simply use your old keys. (and don't have to program or rig anything or replace door lock cylinder or carry two big keys)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    I will get it duplicated on the blank that comes with the new case.
    If you cut a new key to match, it still will not start the car until the CEM is programmed to recognize the chip in the key.

The key code for your car WAS registered with Volvo and if the keys were lost Volvo could make one from the code. Now that won't be possible (unless you somehow tell volvo what the new key code is.)
    Last edited by hoonk; 02-06-2020 at 07:06 AM.